Treatment of sleep/wake disorders | NURS 6670 – Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Role II: Adults and Older Adults | Walden University
Discussion: Treatment of Sleep/Wake Disorders
The power of sleep to heal the body cannot be underestimated. Most research indicates that 7–8 hours of sleep are a minimum that people need to stay healthy. Clients who come to the PMHNP’s office frequently complain of sleep problems. It is estimated that 10–20% of patients report some type of sleeping problem.
In this Discussion, you will analyze the diagnostic criteria and evidence-based psychotherapy and psychopharmacologic treatment for sleep/wake disorders.
· Analyze diagnostic criteria for sleep/wake disorders
· Analyze evidence-based psychotherapy and psychopharmacologic treatment for sleep/wake disorders
· Analyze criteria for referring clients to primary care physicians for treatment of sleep/wake disorders
· Compare differential diagnostic features of sleep/wake disorders
To prepare for this Discussion:
· Your Instructor will have assigned you a sleep/wake disorder, which will be the focus of your original post for this Discussion. Insomnia
· Review the Learning Resources.
By Day 3
· Explain the diagnostic criteria for your assigned Insomnia disorder.
· Explain the evidenced-based psychotherapy and psychopharmacologic treatment for Insomnia disorder.
· Describe at what point you would refer the client to their primary care physician for an additional referral to a neurologist, pulmonologist, or physician specializing in sleep disorders and explain why.
· Support your rationale with references to the Learning Resources or other academic resource.