Technology trends in secondary ed | SEC501
DQ #1: Due Saturday 11/17
Reflect on the video “Educate to Innovate” and offer your perspective on the feasibility of the STEM initiative and its sustainability for the future. Two references needed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33_nZaOUWYw.
- Many schools that are not Title I schools, do not have the funds to implement the technology that Obama was speaking about in the video. The classrooms in central Arizona have not increased scores on the benchmarks tests given twice a year, in order to check progress. The national benchmark actually shows a decrease in our score compared to other states in U.S.
DQ#2:Due Mon 11/19
Discuss the challenges teachers are facing integrating technology into the classroom. Brainstorm ideas to help resurrect each challenge.
- In my Geometry classes this year, I see cellphones and apple/Samsung watches out in class, watching videos, taking snap chat pics, face timing with other students that are in another class. Cheating has become an epidemic due to the access during tests and quizzes, and apps that you take a picture of the homework or quiz problem and it solves it for you. Myself and 4 other math teachers just implemented a zero tolerance for cell phone usage in the classroom. A letter was sent out in an email to all parents and students outlining the classroom policy. They are required to place their phone in the holders on the back wall of the class as soon as the bell rings. There are escalating consequences with each incident. This was at least a first step to improve concentration in my classes.
- Also, taking my students to the math lab or laptops in my classroom has proven to be a problem. I want to use technology, but the technology we have access to tempts the students to check email, watch Youtube videos, check facebook, etc.
Due Wednesday 11/21:
Use the topic readings and videos to describe technology trends in various secondary school settings.
Describe how you think these trends will influence the future of American education and defend your rationale. Consider:
- An older and more diverse U.S. population.
- Increased choice and privatization of education.
- Changing role of government and the effect of policies on education.
- High school reform.
- Increased reliance of technology in the classroom.
- Increased globalization.
The content can be presented in a PowerPoint (12-15 slides), Prezi, Emaze, or other (as approved by your instructor). Include presenter’s notes, a title slide, reference slide, and in-text citations within your presentation.
Support your findings with a minimum of three scholarly resources.
Review the ISTE Standards for Teachers.
Read “New Media and New Literacies: Reconstructing Education for the New Millennium,” by Kellner, located on the UCLA Graduate School of Education & Information Studies to prepare for the assignment.