Taking a Stand Essay Assignment | Top Universities
December 18th, 2019
The Taking a Stand Essay is derived from the Arguing Both Sides exercise.
For that one, you only needed to provide a few organized paragraphs presenting BOTH sides of an issue. Now you will argue for ONE side while effectively acknowledging the other side using the language of concession and refutation.
- In addition, as it says on p. 92, to complete the assignment, include the following information at the TOP OF YOUR essay above your name:
(a) Your issue, question at issue, and thesis
(b) Your principal argument set out in a standard form (see Chapter 3)
- Proper MLA formatting of the essay (name, etc, double-spaced, etc)
- Informative Title that Hints at the Thesis – not bold or big, capitalized correctly
- Opening Hook to Engage the reader
- Background info and intro to lead the reader to the thesis
- Clear strong thesis that will be the single controlling idea of the paper
- A number of body paragraphs that have appropriate and controlling topic sentences, development, and transitions with correct in-text citations if sources are used.
- Some type of acknowledgement of the opposing points of view; either in one Rogerian type paragraph, or placed in each paragraph in response to a claim.
- A conclusion that revisits the thesis while wrapping up the paper without introducing new topics.
- MLA properly formatted Works Cited List if using any source Get English homework help today