Soc 305 (crime and society) week 5 complete dq’s & final assignment
SOC 305 (Crime & Society)
Week 5 DQ 1 School Shootings
As we learn in the readings, media reports of school crime tend to create misconceptions of a danger that is actually quite small for the overwhelming majority of school users. In fact, given the number of students, teachers, and other personnel in schools on any given day, it is quite astounding how few violent episodes there are. To track violence in schools, read the US Department of Justice and US Department of Education report, Indicators of School Crime and Safety: 2011. After reading the report, please address each of the following:
- Refer to a specific statistic found on the site, with proper citation. Tell us why this statistic surprised you, confirmed your belief, etc.
- In 81% of violent, targeted school attacks, at least one person knew someone was conceiving of or planning an attack. In most cases no one came forward with this information. Why do you think this is?
- What are some significant differences between on-campus crime and crime in the general population?
- Discuss the challenged inherent in preventing school and workplace violence.
Week 5 DQ 2 Privatization
- In your opinion, what groups of people benefit most when the prison system is capitalized? What groups or people benefit least?
- In your informed opinion, are private prisons a bargain? Why or why not? Has the general public reached the same conclusion? Why or why not?
- Has your opinion about private prisons changed as a result of this research?
- What problems come with privatizing traditional government services like incarceration, military work, or policing? What benefits?
- What do for-profit prisons say about society’s expectations of incarceration and criminal activity? What do they say about society’s opinion of inmates?
Week 5 Assignment:
Final Paper: Effects and Solutions to Drug Abuse 1350+ Words