Smoking – tobacco products, E-cigarettes, cannabis, effects on health/teeth | Online Assignment Help
ASSIGNMENT 3 – EVIDENCE BASED RESEARCH PAPER
Value 20% of final grade
Thursday November 22, 2018 at 9:00 p.m. via D2L
Submit the final copy as a “WORD” or “PDF” document into the Assignment #3 Research Paper dropbox on D2L before 9:00 p.m. on November 22, 2018
Document must be saved as follows: Student First Name Last Name_Assignment 3_Title of Paper
Failure to turn in an assignment on time will result in a late penalty of 5% per day for up to five days. After five days, the assignment will be given a grade of
(In emergency/mitigating circumstances, such as health problems or personal crises,
exceptions may be granted; however, this is not presumed and must be approved in
advance by the instructor. Evidence of acute injury, illness, or other emergency
situations may be required; however, this does not guarantee that an exception will
THE RESEARCH PAPER SHOULD:
Be related to a dental topic (instructor approval required).
Follow APA (American Psychological Association) Guidelines.
Be 4 –6 pages in length (excluding the title, abstract, and reference page). (approximately 1000 – 1500 words).
Use headings if appropriate.
Have a minimum of 5 references. – At least 2 articles must be from an academic journal and dated
.within the last 5 years.
– At least two articles should be located on the library site.
EVIDENCE BASED RESEARCH PAPER
1. Start by choosing a topic – Pick something that interests you. See examples below:
1. Sensitive teeth – What causes, how to manage, different types of toothpaste, etc. 2. Eating disorders – bulimia, the effects on the teeth, anorexia, etc. 3. Holistic/Natural remedies – Neem, xylitol, tea tree, oregano, coconut oil, etc. 4. Dental esthetics – needs/wants, whitening, treatment, etc. 5. Innovations in dentistry – digital impressions, 3D imaging, etc. 6. Hidden Sugars– smoothies, sports drinks, vitamin water, other alternatives, etc. 7. Sugars/nutrition – the effects on the dentition, education better choices, etc. 8. Aesthetic/cosmetic dentistry – veneers, diastemas, full mouth reconstruction, etc. 9. The effects of drugs on oral health – Rx drugs, staining, xerostomia, etc. 10. Street drugs – different street drugs, uses, names, effects on the body/teeth, etc. 11. Early childhood dental care and education – thumb sucking, dental visits, bottle to bed,
12. Tooth whitening –products commercial / in office, results, sensitivity, costs, etc. 13. Innovation in orthodontics – train tracks, lingual braces, invisalign, etc. 14. Sports and dental health – types of mouth guards, importance in sports, etc. 15. Oral piercing and tooth jewelry – lip, tongue, cheek, diamond in tooth, etc. 16. Corporate practice vs traditional dental office – client/ employee, etc. 17. Dental sales representative – different options available, etc. 18. Community health – access to care, dental care, fly-in-fly-out, etc. 19. Caries – formation, education, prevention, silver diamine fluoride, etc. 20. Volunteer dentistry abroad 21. Smoking – tobacco products, E-cigarettes, cannabis, effects on health/teeth, etc.
These are only few ideas; if there is another dental topic that is not on the list, speak to the
2. In your research paper describe and explain the dental topic that is of interest to you.
3. Begin your Research – after selecting your topic, begin your literature search. Start looking for information, journal articles, and textbooks, web sites.
4. Keep track of all references you might use. Evaluate your sources. Are the journals scientific? (references cited within the article are based on
Is the article from an academic journal? Who is the author, what are their credentials? When was the article published? Is it current?
5. Record all your reference information on the Library Research Grid. (provided)
Use the following grid to:
Keep track of the articles you will be using for your research paper
Help you find the information about the article you will need to create an APA citation
APA stands for American Psychological Association
The following is a link to the Camosun library APA citation guide:
OWL Purdue is another excellent resource for citation and essay writing tips and
On Monday October 15, 2018, Chrisa Hotchkiss from the writing centre will speak to the
class about writing a research paper.
DHYG research guide that is a great resource for students
The writing centre offers services available to you by scheduling an appointment. There is also the option for several students to gather and schedule an appointment (book a
room in the library). This would allow you to spend a longer session.
Title of article
Author(s) of article
Title of magazine/journal
Issue # (if given)
Date of article NOTE: If the article is more than 10 yrs old it may not be relevant for your assignment. Can you find a more recent article?
Note: If no doi is available use “Retrieved from:”
followed by the permalink
Is this from an academic journal?
[ ] Yes [ ] No [ ] I’m not sure