PSYC 515 Weekly Short Essays-Week Five
This is a short essay assignment with a mixture of multiple-choice/short answer and essay questions that cite evidence or research to explain/support your answer.
Your essay answers must be in your own words with paraphrasing properly source credited. Quotes in lieu of answering in your own words will not receive points.
Please submit your responses as a Word document (.docx file). Make sure to number your responses so your instructor will know where one response ends and the next starts. It is not necessary to rewrite each question in your document. For multiple choice questions, CLEARLY indicate your response (a, b, c, or d) so that your instructor does not have to search and try to determine your response in your short answer explanation.
Your responses should be approximately one-half page each (double-spaced) for a total of three pages (not including Title and References Pages if you choose to include them).
1. The catharsis theory of aggression holds that:
a. aggressive impulses, if kept bottled up, will eventually fade away.
b. one act of aggression usually leads to further aggression.
c. one act of aggression reduces the likelihood of further acts of aggression.
d. frustration leads to aggression.
Why did select this answer?
2. Bushman and Bonacci had an experiment in which people watched violent or sexually explicit or neutral TV shows with advertisements. Under which conditions did men and women recall the advertised products? How did the experimenters explain the reasons for this outcome?
3. Based upon Article #26 in Readings About the Social Animal, explain Malamuth’s findings on the predictors of naturalistic sexual aggression.
4. Some people believe that exposure to, or participation in, aggressive behavior is beneficial because it allows people to release their pent-up aggression. Where do you stand on this issue? Do you agree or disagree with this premise? Be sure to back up your answer with examples of relevant research.
5. Most everyone would agree that reducing human aggression is a worthwhile goal-one that may be crucial to our survival as a species. Summarize two of the several methods for achieving this goal. Support your choices with relevant research.