The CFO of Baldwin Corporation, Gregg Williams is meeting with the company’s board of directors to discuss the possible effect of the company’s capital budgeting project on the stock price. Gregg believes that when the NPV of $159,624 is released in conjunction with existing information on the company, the stock price will increase by $0.15 given that the company has 1,000,000 shares outstanding. Gregg believes that all investors are rational and will make investment decisions after analyzing all available information. Gregg’s belief is consistent with the theory of efficient capital markets, which he studied at the graduate school.
The theory of efficient capital markets holds that stock prices reflect all available information. Gregg gave the implications of the theory as follows:
A board member, Jon Milosvoski has drawn Gregg’s attention to three forms of market efficiency namely weak form efficiency, semi-strong efficiency, and strong form efficiency. Mr. Milosvoski explains that under each form, different types of information are assumed to reflect in stock prices.
Another board member, David Jefferson, says that new research studies are emerging in behavioral financethat question the rationality of investors. Mr. Jefferson explains that investors do not act rationally all the time in the investment decision making process so the market cannot be efficient. The results of the studies indicate that investors are prone to heuristics-driven biases such as overconfidence, decision regret, familiarity, conservatism, representativeness and house-money effect.
The meeting was postponed to next week when the board will meet to finish the discussion on the efficient markets and consider capital structure of Baldwin Inc.
The board chairman wants you to address the following questions before the next meeting.
1. What different types of information are assumed to reflect in the company’s stock price? Explain the different types of information under each form of market efficiency.
2. An individual investor, Ms. Jones wants to invest in Baldwin Inc. She has gathered data on the company from the current issue of the company’s annual financial report, newspapers and press release of the capital investment project. Assuming the market is semi-strong efficient, can Ms. Jones earn above-average returns using this material public information?
3. Ms. Jones is consulting with her financial advisor, Robert Carl. Robert believes that stock prices move in trends. He also believes that new information does not quickly get to all investors and that it takes time to analyze and act on the new information. He tells Ms. Jones that if investors take time to analyze the information and react, and possibly overreact to it, prices may always deviate from fair market values. Does Robert Carl believe in market efficiency? Explain why.
4. Determine whether the following statements by Gregg are correct or incorrect about efficient market hypothesis:
a. it implies perfect forecasting ability (correct or incorrect)
b. it implies that prices reflect all available information (correct or incorrect)
c. it implies an irrational market (correct or incorrect)
d. it implies prices do not change (correct or incorrect)
e. it results from keen competition among investors (correct or incorrect)
5. Explain how behavioral biases of overconfidence, regret, representativeness,and familiarity can affect investment behavior of investors of Baldwin Inc.
6. Given the board meeting next week on capital structure of the company, what are some of the agenda to be discussed at the meeting?
7. Baldwin Inc. wants to determine the optimal capital structure that will maximize the value of the company. Various capital structures have been analyzed as follows:
What optimal capital structure do you recommend for Baldwin Inc. and why?Get Finance homework help today
We aim at 100% customer satisfaction. As such, we never compromise on the quality of our assignment services. Our homework helpers craft each paper carefully to match the requirements on the instruction form.
We receive many applications from writers around the world daily. Nevertheless, we only choose the cream of the crop to tackle your “help with homework” requests. Hence, our homework helpers are highly-qualified individuals who maintain our quality policy.
We maintain a fair pricing policy for all our homework help services. Our pricing system generates quotations based on the requirements of each paper.
At My Homework Writers, we guarantee all students swift delivery of their assignments. We understand that time is an essential factor in the academic world. We, therefore, ensure that all assignments are delivered on or before the agreed deadline.
We maintain a zero-plagiarism policy in all our essay papers. Our assignment writers stick to the students’ instructions to deliver plagiarism-free papers. We are also keen to avoid any chance of similarities with previously written papers.
We understand that you might run into trouble once in a while when working with our system. In the event that you do run into trouble, please get in touch with our support agents and they will immediately provide you with assistance.
Feel free to contact us via the Chat window or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow these simple steps to get your homework done
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
You will be able to track the progress of your paper from our system.
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Myhomeworkwriters website holds a reputation for providing high-quality assignment writing services. You only need to give us all the requirements for your “do my homework” order, and our homework paper writers will give you the best results.
We have highly qualified essay writers to assist you whenever you place in "help with my homework" order. Our essay writing service is designed to help students get good grades.
Our admission essay writing help will assist you to secure a position at your desired learning institution. We will help you craft a top-notch personal statement paper. Our writers who know how to write a college admission essay will help you get the college admission you are longing for.
Our team of professional editors will help you organize your paper, paraphrase it, and eliminate any possible mistakes. Also, we will help you check on plagiarism to ensure that your final paper possesses quality and originality.
My homeworkwriters harbors specialists who can handle your technical papers order. Our “write my homework” services cover all academic areas you can think of. The simplicity or complexity of the paper does not affect the quality of assignment writing services.