The CFO of Baldwin Corporation, Gregg Williams is meeting with the company’s board of directors to discuss the possible effect of the company’s capital budgeting project on the stock price. Gregg believes that when the NPV of $159,624 is released in conjunction with existing information on the company, the stock price will increase by $0.15 given that the company has 1,000,000 shares outstanding. Gregg believes that all investors are rational and will make investment decisions after analyzing all available information. Gregg’s belief is consistent with the theory of efficient capital markets, which he studied at the graduate school.
The theory of efficient capital markets holds that stock prices reflect all available information. Gregg gave the implications of the theory as follows:
A board member, Jon Milosvoski has drawn Gregg’s attention to three forms of market efficiency namely weak form efficiency, semi-strong efficiency, and strong form efficiency. Mr. Milosvoski explains that under each form, different types of information are assumed to reflect in stock prices.
Another board member, David Jefferson, says that new research studies are emerging in behavioral financethat question the rationality of investors. Mr. Jefferson explains that investors do not act rationally all the time in the investment decision making process so the market cannot be efficient. The results of the studies indicate that investors are prone to heuristics-driven biases such as overconfidence, decision regret, familiarity, conservatism, representativeness and house-money effect.
The meeting was postponed to next week when the board will meet to finish the discussion on the efficient markets and consider capital structure of Baldwin Inc.
The board chairman wants you to address the following questions before the next meeting.
1. What different types of information are assumed to reflect in the company’s stock price? Explain the different types of information under each form of market efficiency.
2. An individual investor, Ms. Jones wants to invest in Baldwin Inc. She has gathered data on the company from the current issue of the company’s annual financial report, newspapers and press release of the capital investment project. Assuming the market is semi-strong efficient, can Ms. Jones earn above-average returns using this material public information?
3. Ms. Jones is consulting with her financial advisor, Robert Carl. Robert believes that stock prices move in trends. He also believes that new information does not quickly get to all investors and that it takes time to analyze and act on the new information. He tells Ms. Jones that if investors take time to analyze the information and react, and possibly overreact to it, prices may always deviate from fair market values. Does Robert Carl believe in market efficiency? Explain why.
4. Determine whether the following statements by Gregg are correct or incorrect about efficient market hypothesis:
a. it implies perfect forecasting ability (correct or incorrect)
b. it implies that prices reflect all available information (correct or incorrect)
c. it implies an irrational market (correct or incorrect)
d. it implies prices do not change (correct or incorrect)
e. it results from keen competition among investors (correct or incorrect)
5. Explain how behavioral biases of overconfidence, regret, representativeness,and familiarity can affect investment behavior of investors of Baldwin Inc.
6. Given the board meeting next week on capital structure of the company, what are some of the agenda to be discussed at the meeting?
7. Baldwin Inc. wants to determine the optimal capital structure that will maximize the value of the company. Various capital structures have been analyzed as follows:
What optimal capital structure do you recommend for Baldwin Inc. and why?Get Finance homework help today
Why Choose Us
At Myhomeworkwriters.com, we always aim at 100% customer satisfaction. As such, we never compromise the quality of our essay services. Our essay helpers ensure that they craft each paper carefully to match the requirements in the instruction form.
Professional Academic Writers
With Myhomeworkwriters.com, every student is guaranteed high-quality, professionally written papers. We ensure that we hire individuals with high academic qualifications who can maintain our quality policy. These writers undergo further training to sharpen their writing skills, making them more competent in writing academic papers.
Our company maintains a fair pricing system for all paper writing services to ensure affordability. Our pricing system generates quotations based on the properties of individual papers.
MyHomeworkWriters guarantees all students of swift delivery of papers. We understand that time is an essential factor in the academic world. Therefore, we ensure that we deliver the paper on or before the agreed date to give students ample time for reviewing.
Myhomeworkwriters.com maintains a zero-plagiarism policy. As such, MyHomeworkWriters ensure that they use the students’ instructions to deliver plagiarism-free papers. We are very keen on avoiding any chance of similarities with previous papers.
Customer Support 24/7
Our customer support works around the clock to provide students with assistance or guidance at any time of the day. Students can always communicate with us through our live chat system or our email and receive instant responses. Feel free to contact us via the Chat window or support email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Our writers complete papers strictly according to your instructions and needs, no matter what university, college, or high school you study in.
Our Essay Writing Services
MyHomeworkWriters holds a reputation for being a platform that provides high-quality academic services. All you need to do is provide us with all the necessary requirements and wait for quality results.
At MyHomeworkWriters, we have highly qualified academic gurus who will offer great assistance towards completing your essays. Our essay help service providers are well-versed with all the aspects of developing high-quality and relevant essays.
Admission and Business Papers
With Myhomeworkwriters.com, we will help you secure a position at your desired institution. Our essay writing services include the crafting of admissions papers. We will still help you climb your career ladder by helping you write the official papers that will help you secure a job. We will guide you on how to write an outstanding portfolio or resume.
Editing and Proofreading
Myhomeworkwriters.com has a professional editorial team that will help you organize your paper, paraphrase it, and eliminate any possible mistakes. Also, we will help you check on plagiarism to ensure that your final paper posses quality and originality.
My Homework Writers harbors professional academic writers from diverse academic disciplines. As such, we can develop essay help services in all academic areas. The simplicity or complexity of the paper does not affect the quality of essay writing services.