chapter 5 – online DISCUSSION questions
1. At what level in Maslow’s hierarchy of needs are you living? Are you basically satisfied at this level?
2. Assume you are leaving your current job to look for employment elsewhere. What will you look for that you do not have now? If you do not have a job, assume you will be looking for one soon. What are the most important factors you will seek?
3. Do you believe you can do a better job of working or studying than you are currently doing? Do you think you would get more pay and benefits or better grades if you did a better job? Do you care about the rewards (or grades) in your organization (or university)?
1. A. Define motivation.
B. How can knowledge of motivation theories help managers to manage their employees effectively? (Respond from your experience and be realistic; do not simply quote from the textbook).
C. Define self-interest.
D. How important is self-interest in the work life of an individual?
2. A. What are the five categories of motivational needs described by Maslow?
B. Briefly describe each of these five categories.
C. Give an example of each of the five categories. (Provide five answers.)
D. How can each of these categories be satisfied in the workplace? (Provide five answers.)
3. What are the specific assumptions that managers make about employees when managers perceive employees through Theory X and Theory Y? (Do not simply answer that in Theory X employees are motivated by lower order needs and in Theory Y employees are motivated by higher order )
A. What assumptions do managers make about Theory X employees?
B. What assumptions do managers make about Theory Y employees?
4. How do the assumptions outlined in McGregor’s Theory X and Theory Y relate to Maslow’s hierarchy of needs? Where do Theory X and Theory Y fit in Maslow’s hierarchy?
5. A. Describe the ERG theory of motivation.
B. How does the ERG theory relate to Maslow’s hierarchy of needs?
6. A. List each of the three manifest needs McClelland identifies in his need theory.
B. Describe each of these three manifest needs.
C. Give an example of each of these needs at work.
7. A. Define and explain motivational factors.
B. Give examples of motivational factors in the workplace.
C. What are hygiene factors? (Give a definition. Do not simply copy this statement from the textbook: “Hygiene factors are work conditions that generate dissatisfaction due to discomfort or pain.” What does this mean? If necessary, do some online research to fully understand the definition of hygiene factors as outlined by Herzberg in his Two-Factory Theory.)
D. Give examples of hygiene factors.
D. How do these two factors differ in affecting employees? What is the outcome on employees of having or not having these factors in the workplace?
8. Think about Herzberg’s two-factory theory (hygiene and motivational factors). What are the implications of this theory for managers supervising a group of employees? How can managers use this theory to manage employees?
9. List and describe two new ideas in motivation that managers are currently using. (Be realistic; do not simply quote from the textbook.)
10. A. What is equity theory?
B. Explain demands and contributions.
C. Describe Adam’s’s theory of inequity.
11. A. What is the expectancy theory of motivation?
B. What are the key concepts in the expectancy theory of motivation? (Describe these key concepts–valence, expectancy, and instrumentality. Do not simply list them.)
C. How do you see this expectancy theory of motivation work in your life?
Why Choose Us
At Myhomeworkwriters.com, we always aim at 100% customer satisfaction. As such, we never compromise o the quality of our homework services. Our homework helpers ensure that they craft each paper carefully to match the requirements of the instruction form.
Professional Academic Writers
With Myhomeworkwriters.com, every student is guaranteed high-quality, professionally written papers. We ensure that we hire individuals with high academic qualifications who can maintain our quality policy. These writers undergo further training to sharpen their writing skills, making them more competent in writing academic papers.
Our company maintains a fair pricing system for all academic writing services to ensure affordability. Our pricing system generates quotations based on the properties of individual papers.
My Homework Writers guarantees all students of swift delivery of papers. We understand that time is an essential factor in the academic world. Therefore, we ensure that we deliver the paper on or before the agreed date to give students ample time for reviewing.
Myhomeworkwriters.com maintains a zero-plagiarism policy in all papers. As such, My Homework Writers professional academic writers ensure that they use the students’ instructions to deliver plagiarism-free papers. We are very keen on avoiding any chance of similarities with previous papers.
Customer Support 24/7
Our customer support works around the clock to provide students with assistance or guidance at any time of the day. Students can always communicate with us through our live chat system or our email and receive instant responses. Feel free to contact us via the Chat window or support email: email@example.com.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Our Homework Writing Services
My Homework Writers holds a reputation for being a platform that provides high-quality homework writing services. All you need to do is provide us with all the necessary requirements of the paper and wait for quality results.
At My Homework Writers, we have highly qualified academic gurus who will offer great assistance towards completing your essays. Our homework writing service providers are well-versed with all the aspects of developing high-quality and relevant essays.
Admission and Business Papers
With Myhomeworkwriters.com, we will help you secure a position at your desired institution. Our essay writing services include the crafting of admissions papers. We will still help you climb your career ladder by helping you write the official papers that will help you secure a job. We will guide you on how to write an outstanding portfolio or resume.
Editing and Proofreading
Myhomeworkwriters.com has a professional editorial team that will help you organize your paper, paraphrase it, and eliminate any possible mistakes. Also, we will help you check on plagiarism to ensure that your final paper posses quality and originality.
My Homework Writers harbors professional academic writers from diverse academic disciplines. As such, we can develop homework writing services in all academic areas. The simplicity or complexity of the paper does not affect the quality of homework writing services.