Due Sunday September 4, 2016
PURPOSE: The purpose of this assignment is to use content analysis to critically analyze how one social issue/problem is discussed and represented in popular culture through music lyrics.
BACKGROUND: There are many agents of popular culture though which the messages, themes and symbols of popular culture are produced and consumed. Media is a key agent of popular culture, and within it music is one mode for the production and consumption of popular culture. The music of the 1960s marked a key period of transition in the United States as themes of social problems and dissidence started to fill the radio waves. This assignment will allow you to explore one social issue or problem in music today.
See attached document (NOTE THAT THERE ARE TWO OPTIONS: OPTION 1 AND OPTION 2) for a detailed assignment description.
Option 1 Instructions:
1) Choose one social issue or social problem (i.e. drugs, the environment, war, teenage pregnancy, hate crimes, etc).
2) Find at least 5 songs with lyrics that address your chosen social issue/problem. You will need to cite these songs using proper APA formatting (see below).
3) Analyze the songs for similarities and differences in how they address the social issue/problem. You may:
– look for themes within and among the songs (i.e. songs about war that talk about ‘ending war’
– consider the year the songs were copyrighted
– consider the genre the song fits in
– is the song directed at a particular audience? (think socio-demographic characteristics: age, race/ethnicity, gender, socio-economic status (SES), and sexuality)
– what type of vocabulary, words, grammar, euphemisms, vernacular is used for the lyrics?
– Consider the actual production of the song as well: tempo, emotion, male/female singer, individual singer/band, etc.
4) Find at least two sources that address music and your social problem (i.e. the sources are providing similar analysis or commentary on how your social problem is addressed through music). These may be popular sources (i.e. magazine articles or websites), but Wikipedia is not acceptable.
5) Find at least one peer-reviewed article (see attached Finding Peer Reviewed Journals guidelines) that discusses your social issue problem and how it is portrayed by the media (ideally this would be focused on your social issue and problem, but this may be difficult to find – so an article on TV, radio, internet, movies is OK).
6) Write-up your paper
a) Cover Page
b) Clearly identify your chosen social issue/problem.
a. Why are you interested in studying this?
c) Write-up your analysis of how this social issue/problem is addressed in the 5 songs you chose
a. NOTE: this is the majority of your paper. It is a ‘comparative critical’ analysis of how your chosen social issue/problem is addressed in these songs. It is NOT a summary of each song, and it should not include cutting and pasting the lyrics of all of the songs into the paper.
i. If you submit a paper that is full of copied lyrics, you will receive a ZERO.
b. Use the prompts in step 3 to help you organize this analysis
c. Information about the singer/band should be a VERY minimal part of this analysis; the lyrics are the heart of the analysis
d. APA-formatted in-text citations should be used throughout this section
d) Briefly describe the TWO sources you found that discuss music and your chosen social problem.
a. Discuss how the analysis or commentary in these two sources compares to your analysis
b. Remember your APA-formatted in-text citations
e) Briefly describe your chosen peer-reviewed article.
a. What is the main research question/thesis of the article
b. What is the research method used in the article (i.e. survey, interview, content analysis, observation, experiment, etc)
c. What are the key findings of the article
d. Discuss how the findings in this article can help you to better understand/explain your chosen social issue/problem and how it is addressed in your chosen songs
e. Remember APA-formatted in-text citations
f) Conclude by discussing how your analysis is helpful and relevant in the study of American Popular Culture
– length: 3-5 pages
– APA formatting should be used throughout
o 1” margins
o 12 pt arial or times new roman font
o in-text citations and corresponding full references
o See APA formatting help under Lessons
APA Formatting for Music Recording must include:
1. Name(s) of composer(s)
2. Date of copyright in parenthesis ()
3. Title of song [Recorded by (if available) artist if different from writer]
4. On Title of album (italicised) [Medium of recording; CD cassette etc.]
5. Location: label
6. Recording date if different from copyright date
Nicks, S. (1977). Dreams [Recorded by Fleetwood Mac]. On Rumours [CD]. Burbank, Calif.: WB Records.
Vine, C. (1996). 5 bagatelles [Recorded by I. Munro]. On Mere bagatelles [CD]. Australia: Tall Poppies.
Mussorgsky, M. P. (1994). Coronation Scene from Boris Godunov [Edited by K. Marie Stolba] On Development of western music, Vol. 2, No. 4.[CD]. Madison, Wis.: Brown and Benchmark.
Example of Rerecording by artist other than composer with different recording date:
Goodenough, J. B. (1982). Tails and trotters [Recorded by G. Bok, A. Mayo, & E. Trickett]. On And so will we yet [CD]. Sharon, CT; Folk- Legacy Records. (1990).
In text citations singer or band, copyright year and track number.
– E.g. for the song: “Tails and Trotters” (Goodenough, 1982, track 5)
Why Choose Us
At Myhomeworkwriters.com, we always aim at 100% customer satisfaction. As such, we never compromise o the quality of our homework services. Our homework helpers ensure that they craft each paper carefully to match the requirements of the instruction form.
Professional Academic Writers
With Myhomeworkwriters.com, every student is guaranteed high-quality, professionally written papers. We ensure that we hire individuals with high academic qualifications who can maintain our quality policy. These writers undergo further training to sharpen their writing skills, making them more competent in writing academic papers.
Our company maintains a fair pricing system for all academic writing services to ensure affordability. Our pricing system generates quotations based on the properties of individual papers.
My Homework Writers guarantees all students of swift delivery of papers. We understand that time is an essential factor in the academic world. Therefore, we ensure that we deliver the paper on or before the agreed date to give students ample time for reviewing.
Myhomeworkwriters.com maintains a zero-plagiarism policy in all papers. As such, My Homework Writers professional academic writers ensure that they use the students’ instructions to deliver plagiarism-free papers. We are very keen on avoiding any chance of similarities with previous papers.
Customer Support 24/7
Our customer support works around the clock to provide students with assistance or guidance at any time of the day. Students can always communicate with us through our live chat system or our email and receive instant responses. Feel free to contact us via the Chat window or support email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Our writers complete papers strictly according to your instructions and needs, no matter what university, college, or high school you study in.
Our Homework Writing Services
My Homework Writers holds a reputation for being a platform that provides high-quality homework writing services. All you need to do is provide us with all the necessary requirements of the paper and wait for quality results.
At My Homework Writers, we have highly qualified academic gurus who will offer great assistance towards completing your essays. Our homework writing service providers are well-versed with all the aspects of developing high-quality and relevant essays.
Admission and Business Papers
With Myhomeworkwriters.com, we will help you secure a position at your desired institution. Our essay writing services include the crafting of admissions papers. We will still help you climb your career ladder by helping you write the official papers that will help you secure a job. We will guide you on how to write an outstanding portfolio or resume.
Editing and Proofreading
Myhomeworkwriters.com has a professional editorial team that will help you organize your paper, paraphrase it, and eliminate any possible mistakes. Also, we will help you check on plagiarism to ensure that your final paper posses quality and originality.
My Homework Writers harbors professional academic writers from diverse academic disciplines. As such, we can develop homework writing services in all academic areas. The simplicity or complexity of the paper does not affect the quality of homework writing services.