Module 1 Discussion Assignment | Homework Help Websites
Module 1 Discussion
Answer one of the following questions: 200 words
- Analyze the effects of maize’s introduction into the Misssissippian culture and how does its introduction change the ways in which the people interacted.
- What does it mean to be matrilineal and what roles can it play in the political and economics of those tribes (Southwest and Iroquois).
Week 1 Written Response
The assignment wants you to have a broad understanding of pre-contact Native Americans and the culture and resources that existed prior to contact along with differences found in Europe at the time. Please read each section of the assignment carefully and answer in full sentences using proper grammar. Be sure to completely document any sources used within the assignment.
This assignment is made up of multiple parts and be sure to answer each portion of the assignment.
Part 1: Think back to the video segments and answer the following questions:
- Please view the video before completing the assignment. View the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zr46zBwySw
- Make a comparison of the population demographics in the New World compared to what was seen in Europe pre-conquest.
- What are the resources available to Native Populations in the New World opposed to Europe and what access does the general population have to these resources?
- After watching this video, list what ethnocentric views existed in Europe that would affect most interactions with native populations on conquest.
Part 2: Map Assignment of Native People
- Investigate: What is the difference between a physical and a political map?
- Locate this physical map of the United States and examine it carefully, making note of the mountain ranges, rivers, lakes, and deserts.
- Look at the Map “Native Peoples” (c 1500)
- Click on the map to enlarge it until it fills your screen
- Study the map and carefully note the Cultural Groups and Trade Routes.
- Answer the following questions:
- According to the map, which of the cultural groups would have engaged in agriculture?
- Did most trade routes run North/South or East/West? What is the most plausible explanation for this?
- On the eve of European contact, Native American tribes spread across the North American continent and encompassed a range of different cultures, languages, and religious beliefs. Trade goods exchanged among these diverse groups furnished avenues of communication across the continent. According to this map, which geographic features presented barriers to trade? Which geographic features would have facilitated trade?
- The paper should be 2 pages in length
- Double space and use Times New Roman font size 12 or Arial font size 11
- Completely document references used (text citations and reference page).
Module 2 Discussion
Discussion Topic200 words
European settlers reportedly felt superior to the Native Americans they encountered. What was it about the Native Americans that made these settlers feel superior to them? Did the Native Americans feel inferior to these European settlers?
- Week 2 Written Response
The assignment is in 2 parts:
Part 1: (Learning Outcome #4)
- After viewing the video (Massacre at Mystic) answer the following questions:
- What was the justification given for the Massacre of the Pequot Natives by the British?200 words
- How did this massacre change the way the war was conducted with Native Americans by Europeans from this point forward?200 words
Part 2: Discovery Activity (Learning Outcome #4)
- One of the legacies of the many tribes that first inhabited the Americas is the long list of Native American words and place names still in use today. Have students conduct simple internet research to discover Native American:
Native American Words
Native American Cities and Rivers, etc.
Native American College and Professional Sports Team Names and Mascots:
What does the proliferation of these Native American-related team names and mascots say about Americans’ perceptions of Native Americans?§ Are there certain parts of the country where these Native American team names and mascots are more prevalent than others? Why or why not?400 words
Module 3 Discussion
Discussion Topic200 words
While there had been many attempts to convert native populations, why do you believe there was a new interest in religion at this time? Also, contrast how Moravian Indian conversion differed from earlier attempts to convert native populations and what did they offer them.