MGMT 410 Human Resource Management Devry
Week 4 DQs and Midterm Exam
Week 4: Training and Development – Discussion 1
Employee Orientation (Graded)
What is the purpose of new employee orientation? Do you think it is necessary for a company to offer a formal orientation program for new employees, or is it better to leave this job to the individual’s supervisor?Explain your answer.
Week 4: Training and Development – Discussion 2
Career Management (Graded)
Who is responsible for managing employees’ careers? The employees themselves, their supervisors, HR, or the organization?What do you think?
Week 4 Midterm Exam Set 1
- (TCO 1) HRM typically provides which of these types of training to temporary employees?
- (TCO 1) How has technology changed HRM practices?
- (TCO 2) Jonathan, a VP for Human Resources, is evaluating the extent to which the hiring and employment practices in his organization are in compliance with federal and state laws. Which type of external influences that impact HRM is Jonathan considering?
- (TCO 2) To assist the organization in its strategic direction, which of the following must an HRM manager not do?
- (TCO 3) Significant equal employment (civil rights) legislation includes all of the following except:
- (TCO 3) If you were Vice-President of Human Resources for a large organization, how could you find out if disparate impact was occurring in your organization?
- (TCO 3) All of these statements about the 1991 Civil Rights Act are accurate except:
- (TCO 4) The Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988 requires all of the following except:
- (TCO 4) All of the following actions are suggested to help managers discipline more effectively by helping employees focus on their behavior and how to improve it except the following:
- (TCO 4) Carol was forced to take a lie detector test about a workplace violence incident. During the course of questioning, she became very upset and emotional. Carol asked the questioner to stop. He refused to discontinue the test. What action can be taken?
- (TCO 5) During a job analysis, which of these tasks are performed?
- (TCO 5) Brad is comparing various job analysis methods. He is looking for the best job analysis method. As a consultant, you advise Brad that he should choose
- (TCO 5) Job descriptions are written statements of:
- (TC0 6) Mark, an Information Technology specialist for a large firm, is at a party with some friends from college. He runs into Duffy, a fellow computer science major, and asks, Why don’t you come to work with us? You were at the top of the class in school…………?
- (TCO 6) A good recruiting program is indicated by which of the following?
- (TCO 6) Youan, a recruiter, is trying to identify the different constraints that may impact his recruiting efforts. Which of the following is not a major constraint on recruiting efforts?
- (TCO 7) Which of these steps may be performed after a conditional job offer is made to an applicant?
- (TCO 7) All of the following would be likely to cause the HR person to remove an applicant from the pool during the initial screening of the selection process except
- (TCO 7) What advice does your text give to organizations that want to use employment testing………?
- (TCO 8) Training should be performed in which of these situations?
- (TCO 8) Which of the following is not true regarding a learning organization?
- (TCO 8) The andragogical model of teaching makes assumptions of the learner except the following:
- (TCO 9) Mark had an internship as an undergraduate in a regional planning office that confirmed his major in Economics. He went on to law school and today is starting a job in a real estate development firm. He arranges his desk, looks at his parking and employee identification cards, shines……….
- (TCO 9) Millie attended her college reunion. She told her former roommate about work during the last year. She continued to work for her employer of 30 years, now finally realizing she doesn’t have………….
- (TCO 9) A deliberate mentor process for management development provides all of the following advantages to an organization except
- (TCO 3) Sexual harassment occurs between two people only. The company should not be held liable for the actions of a few wayward supervisors. Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Explain.
- (TCO 9) Do you think a person’s age and career stage evolve together? Why or why not?
- (TCO 7) “Even though interviews have been widely criticized, they are heavily used.” Discuss why this selection device still rates very highly when it is known that it can provide unreliable information.
Midterm Exam Set 2
- (TCO 1) One of the implications of technology in HRM is
- (TCO 1) All of these are workforce diversity characteristics, except
- (TCO 2) Organizations are oftentimes looking for ways to reduce operation costs. One option that is considered is selecting a consulting firm to provide training programs, private staffing agencies to perform recruiting and selection activities, and a financial organization to handle benefits. This option…….:
- (TCO 2) The ABC manufacturing plant has outsourced all HR functions for a group of workers. This is an example of
- (TCO 3) A consequence of an employment practice that results in a greater rejection rate for a minority group than for a majority group is
- (TCO 3) Under Title VII, the second defense against discriminatory charges is
- (TCO 3) Which of the following laws extended leave for family matters?
- (TCO 4) Reagan has worked for 22 years at a 20-employee branch of a large auto parts chain. Business has been very bad lately, and there are rumors of consolidation, reorganization, and even bankruptcy. What protection is Reagan given under the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act?
- (TCO 5) When a job analyst watches employees directly or reviews films of workers on the job, which analysis method is being used?
- (TCO 4) Which of the following is not one of the guidelines for administering discipline?
- (TCO 5) This job analysis method requires job incumbents to record their daily activities.
- (TCO 5) Where does job analysis occur in the strategic planning process?
- (TCO 6) Jane is the director of recruiting for a large corporation. Which of the following is a warning signal that her efforts are not effective?
- (TCO 6) A good recruiting program is indicated by which of the following?
- (TCO 6) Which is not a step in the selection process?
- (TCO 6) Which of the following is a recruitment alternative that keeps employees longer than temporary employees and are employed by a firm.
- (TCO 7) In the selection process, a background examination should occur after
- (TCO 7) An activity included in pre-employment testing that creates a miniature replica of a job is alled
- (TCO 7) Which option is designed to probe areas not easily addressed by the application form or tests?
- (TCO 8) Which is not an on-the-job training method?
- (TCO 8) What is an employee development method that involves exercises such as case studies, decision games, and role plays?
- (TCO 8) Shannon is in line for a senior vice president position at a large hotel conglomerate. She has just received a letter appointing her to the national environmental task force for water and electricity conservation. What is happening to her career?
- (TCO 9) Hector is a research scientist in a large company. He refuses to go to staff meetings but volunteers to attend conventions where he receives recognition for his accomplishments. He holds 17 patents (more than two for each year he has been with his company, and they are proudly displayed on his office wall), but will not work with his manager on quarterly goals. What is Hector’s Holland vocational preferences type?
- (TCO 9) Sarah has had continuous movement in performance and promotion. She now wants to be vice president of human resources by the time she’s 34 to 40 years old. Her next goal is to be CEO by the time she’s 55 after being VP. However, she seems to be just holding on to the VP position. She is at what career stage?
- (TCO 9) Melissa prefers solitary work to large groups, asking questions rather than answering them, and making her own rules instead of following others. What Holland vocational preference model best represents her?
- (TCO 3) Explain the need for equal employment opportunity laws in organizations. How has it impacted HRM? Defend your position.
- (TCO 7) Explain the benefits of online recruiting.
- (TCO 8) You have just been promoted at the BBB Company and now have the responsibility of the employee orientation program. What components should be covered in the program? Explain what would be covered in your employee orientation program.