Work related job -Nursing Unit Description The focus of this unit is mental health assessment and appropriate clinical interventions for people who are affected by the symptoms of mental illness, including consumers and their significant others. Framed within the context of person-centred care, factors that affect mental health are examined, together with the symptoms of mental illness and disorder, and the impact of these symptoms upon consumers and significant others. The student will also appraise the interventions and supports that are available to assist those who are affected by the symptoms of mental illness, and develop the skills to apply this knowledge in practice. Learning Outcomes •
1. appraise the major issues affecting people who are affected by the symptoms of mental illness, including those associated with the major mood, psychotic and behavioural disorders •
2. critically evaluate the process of mental health assessment of people who are affected by the symptoms of mental illness; and •
3. demonstrate appropriate application of a range of interventions and approaches to meet the needs of people who are affected by the symptoms of mental illness, including consumers, carers, families, and communities Week Date Topic Discussion Forum 1 5th June 2017 Background and Policy Context Reflection 2 12th June 2017 Cultural Constructions of Mental Health Personal Cultural Reflection 3 19th June 2017 Mental Health Assessment MSE Reflection 4 26th June 2017 Assessment Tools Additional Assessment Tools 5 3rd July 2017 Mental Health Interventions 6 10th July 2017 Mental Health Interventions & Psychopharmacology 7 17th July 2017 Putting it all together 4. Unit Resources 4a List of Required Texts/Readings: Link to search page for Unit Readings (print materials) Link to Co-Op Bookshop Required Hungerford, C., Hodgson, D., Clancy, R., Monisse-Redman, M., Bostwick, R & Jones, T. (2012). Mental health care; An introduction for health professionals in Australia. Milton, QLD: Wiley.
Recommended Meadows, G., Farhall, J., Fossey, E., Grigg, M., McDermott, F., & Singh, B. (Eds.), (2012). Mental Health in Australia. Collaborative Community Practice (3 ed.). Oxford: Oxford University Press. Usher, K., Foster, K., & Bullock, S. (2008). Psychopharmacology for health professionals. Sydney: Elsevier. Comer, R. (2008). Fundamentals of abnormal psychology (5th ed.). New York: Worth. Edward, K., Munro, I., Robins, A., & Welch, A. (2011). Mental health nursing: Dimensions of praxis. Melbourne: Oxford University Press. Paniagua, F., A. & Yamada, A.M. (2013). Handbook of Multicultural and mental Health Assessment and Treatment of Diverse Populations. (2nd Ed) San Diego, London: Elsevier NMBA Standards for Practice (2016) addressed in this unit include: 1. Thinks critically and analyses nursing practice 2. Engages in therapeutic and professional relationships 3. Comprehensively conducts assessments National Standards for Mental Health Services (2010) addressed in this unit include: 1. Responds to cultural and social diversity of service users, carers and communities 2. Promote mental health and address prevention of mental health problems 3. Supporting recovery Assessment Item Details Click on an Assessment Item for more details.
• Assessment 1: Case Study (Parts A & B) o Due Date: 2nd July 2017 o Weighting Percentage: 50% (Parts A & B) o Addresses learning outcome(s): ï‚§ 1. appraise the major issues affecting people who are affected by the symptoms of mental illness, including those associated with the major mood, psychotic and behavioural disorders ï‚§ 2. critically evaluate the process of mental health assessment of people who are affected by the symptoms of mental illness; and o Related graduate attribute(s): ï‚§ 1. UC graduates are professional – communicate effectively ï‚§ 1. UC graduates are professional – employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills ï‚§ 2.
UC graduates are global citizens – understand issues in their profession from the perspective of other cultures Word limits: 2,000 – 2,200 words (excluding the reference list). Please do NOT go below the lower limit or above the upper limit. You are required to use this marking criteria which is provided in the assessment section of the unit website. Please attach the criteria to your assignment Assessment 1 (Part A) asks you to prepare a case study by using the mental state examination as a framework for documenting your assessment of the following aspects of your clients:
• Appearance and Behaviour
• Mood and Affect
• Thinking (form and content)
• Sensorium (alertness, orientation, concentration, memory, fund of knowledge, abstract reasoning)
• Personal Strengths Assessment 1 (Part B) asks you to identify what other assessment tool you might use to assist you in your assessment, e.g., mini mental state examination form and to justify how this tool would help. Please adhere to the following structure: 10. Write an introduction to your paper that provides some background and overall impression of the client’s presentation. You may use headings or elect to write your assessment in paragraph form 11. Ensure you use direct quotes / client’s own words to support your assessment 12. Identify next steps you would take BUT DO NOT elaborate on any interventions as this will be subject of your next assignment 13. Ensure you use correct English grammar, spelling and sentence construction and properly reference your paper using the UC APA 6th referencing style Get Nursing Homework For You Today