Legal aspects module 4 case
Module 4 – Case
ROLE OF ALLIED PROFESSIONAL
Patients receive care from many professions. These include x-ray technicians, laboratory technicians, physical therapists, nutritionists, and paramedics. Even though these professionals are not doctors they are still held to a higher standard because of their contact with patients. For this case assignment read the 1994 case, Hook v. McLaughlin. (http://www.leagle.com/xmlResult.aspx?xmldoc=19941156642NE2d514_11140.xml&docbase=CSLWAR2-1986-2006). It deals with the interaction between a pharmacist and patient. After reading the case, please respond to the following questions.
- What are the pharmacist’s responsibilities to a patient?
- Did the pharmacist uphold those responsibilities in this case?
- Do you agree with the court’s findings? Justify your response.
- What are the lessons to be learned from this case for employees?
- What is the impact on the patient and community when an allied healthcare professional does not perform their duties properly?
- Has this case lead to any changes in the way prescriptions are handled today?
- Be sure to apply critical thinking skills from your analysis of the current literature on the above topics;
- Limit your paper to 3 pages (double-spaced, 10-12 point font), not including title page and list of references;
- Please use at least 3-5 scholarly sources. Please be sure to properly cite all references both within the text (at the end of paraphrased paragraphs) and at the end of your paper. I will grade your paper on your ability to address the assignment criteria listed above with depth and breadth of discussion. I will also critique your writing format (i.e. proper reference citations, spacing, etc.).
Your paper will be evaluated based on the rubric criteria.