Diversity and Inclusion
1. To become aware of the dimensions of diversity and inclusion
2. To develop an understanding of how leaders address diversity and inclusion in the workplace
1. Your task in this exercise is to interview a leader about her or his views on diversity and inclusion. The individual
you interview should have a formal position of authority in a company (e.g., supervisor, manager), a school (e.g.,
teacher, principal), or the community (e.g., director of social work, bank vice president, small business owner).
2. Conduct a 30-minute semistructured interview with this individual by phone or in person.
3. Develop your own interview questions. If necessary, you may incorporate ideas from the following questions:
· Tell me about your job. How long have you held this position, and how did you get it?
· What comes to your mind when you hear the word diversity? How is diversity addressed within your organization?How important do you think diversity is in your place of work? Why?
· Are there areas within your organization that have less diversity than other areas? Do you think the organization should address this?
· What challenges do you face regarding diversity among those whom you supervise?
· How do you treat employees/followers who are different from others? Do you allow everyone to participate in decision making?
· What is the best way to make an employee/follower who is a minority feel genuinely included with others?
1. Based on your observations, how important is diversity and inclusion to the leader you interviewed?
2. Which metaphor in Table 9.2 (i.e., melting pot, salad, or smorgasbord) would you use to describe the way the m leader approaches his or her followers? Give examples to illustrate this metaphor.
3. Do you think the leader holds any stereotypes about others? In what way do these affect his or her leadership?
4. In what way does the leader try to make individuals who are different feel a part of the organization? Give specific examples where relevant.
5. Do you think privilege is in any way related to how this person leads? Defend your answer.
Reflection and Action Worksheet
Diversity and Inclusion
1. What is your response to the word diversity? Do you think it is a significant problem in our society, or do you think
it is overemphasized? Explain your thoughts on diversity.
2. Reflect on the six primary dimensions of cultural diversity shown in Table 9.1 (i.e., age, gender, race, mental and
physical abilities, ethnicity, and sexual orientation). Which type of diversity is easiest for you to embrace, and
which is hardest for you to embrace? Why? Explain your answers.
3. One way to explore the concept of inclusion is to reflect on your own personal feelings about inclusion. In a
group situation, how much do you want to be included by others? Using a personal example, discuss a time
when you were in a group or on a team when you felt included by others and a time when you felt excluded.
Why did you feel included in one situation and not the other? Elaborate and discuss.
4. Think about what circumstances got you to where you are today. Do you have a past that some would describe
as privileged? Or, would you say you are not privileged? Do you see your colleagues or coworkers as having
privilege? Discuss your thoughts on privilege.
1. Explore your answers on the Cultural Diversity Questionnaire. Select three items on which you chose almost
never or never. Based on your responses to these items, discuss what you could do in your own leadership to
be more inclusive toward others.
2. Imagine for a moment that you have been selected to lead a group service-learning project. What will you say to
make others in your group feel psychologically safe? In what way will you let them participate in decision making?
How will you encourage those individuals who are most different from the group to feel like insiders yet still
3. As discussed in the chapter, stereotypes often get in the way of including others who differ from us. What common
stereotypes do you sometimes attribute to others (e.g., a White police officer, a Muslim female wearing a
hijab, or a transgender male)? How can you change these stereotypes? What messages will you give yourself to
eliminate these stereotypes? Discuss.
Why Choose Us
At Myhomeworkwriters.com, we always aim at 100% customer satisfaction. As such, we never compromise the quality of our essay services. Our essay helpers ensure that they craft each paper carefully to match the requirements in the instruction form.
Professional Academic Writers
With Myhomeworkwriters.com, every student is guaranteed high-quality, professionally written papers. We ensure that we hire individuals with high academic qualifications who can maintain our quality policy. These writers undergo further training to sharpen their writing skills, making them more competent in writing academic papers.
Our company maintains a fair pricing system for all paper writing services to ensure affordability. Our pricing system generates quotations based on the properties of individual papers.
MyHomeworkWriters guarantees all students of swift delivery of papers. We understand that time is an essential factor in the academic world. Therefore, we ensure that we deliver the paper on or before the agreed date to give students ample time for reviewing.
Myhomeworkwriters.com maintains a zero-plagiarism policy. As such, MyHomeworkWriters ensure that they use the students’ instructions to deliver plagiarism-free papers. We are very keen on avoiding any chance of similarities with previous papers.
Customer Support 24/7
Our customer support works around the clock to provide students with assistance or guidance at any time of the day. Students can always communicate with us through our live chat system or our email and receive instant responses. Feel free to contact us via the Chat window or support email: email@example.com.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Our writers complete papers strictly according to your instructions and needs, no matter what university, college, or high school you study in.
Our Essay Writing Services
MyHomeworkWriters holds a reputation for being a platform that provides high-quality academic services. All you need to do is provide us with all the necessary requirements and wait for quality results.
At MyHomeworkWriters, we have highly qualified academic gurus who will offer great assistance towards completing your essays. Our essay help service providers are well-versed with all the aspects of developing high-quality and relevant essays.
Admission and Business Papers
With Myhomeworkwriters.com, we will help you secure a position at your desired institution. Our essay writing services include the crafting of admissions papers. We will still help you climb your career ladder by helping you write the official papers that will help you secure a job. We will guide you on how to write an outstanding portfolio or resume.
Editing and Proofreading
Myhomeworkwriters.com has a professional editorial team that will help you organize your paper, paraphrase it, and eliminate any possible mistakes. Also, we will help you check on plagiarism to ensure that your final paper posses quality and originality.
My Homework Writers harbors professional academic writers from diverse academic disciplines. As such, we can develop essay help services in all academic areas. The simplicity or complexity of the paper does not affect the quality of essay writing services.