Please focus on the following points as you prepare your essay.
The essay question requires that you integrate information taken from several different (referenced) sources, to organize that information, and to summarize the information with conclusions that may be new to you.
Begin with a thesis statement, (or a claim) that you will explain and justify in your
essay. Support your ideas with a rationale and evidence (not opinion statements such as “I think”) that are logically organized throughout the essay. Your ideas and support should be clear to the reader.
Select relevant material to illustrate your points and provide specific references to class readings as well as additional research that you conduct via FDU library resources. Your essay must make substantive reference to at least three resources. Do not cite, quote, or reference from Wikipedia or general non-verifiable sources. References should follow a standard citation format (APA, MLA, Chicago) per your instructor.
Your essay should reflect appropriate grammar and syntax.
The economist Jeffrey Sachs argues that specific and achievable goals help to develop more effective policy reforms. As an example, he quotes President John F. Kennedy who gave the commencement address at American University in 1963. In that speech, Kennedy said: “By defining our goal more clearly, by making it seem more manageable and less remote, we can help all people to see it, to draw hope from it and to move irresistibly towards it.” Kennedy meant the Limited Nuclear Test Ban Treaty needed to have specific and achievable goals to be effective, and Sachs means that the clarity of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) can help achieve policy reform. How would you use the same idea of specific and achievable goals to think about changes in policy or society in relation to sustainability? Specifically,
1. Justify the relevance of Kennedy’s statement with respect to the UN SDGs with specific references to the role of governments and private corporations.
2. Identify two of the SDGs that you consider important (as they relate to either your local community or to your core values). With the two selected SDGs, evaluate the interdependence of those goals while considering how the funding needs and action plans for the goals are interconnected.
Parameters: Each essay must be 3–4 pages, double spaced, 12-point Times New Roman typeface with an additional page for references. Essays will be submitted via WebCampus for grading.
UNIV 2002: Global Issues | Common Assessment Page 1
Rubric (4=ideal and 1=unacceptable): For the purposes of learning outcomes assessment across
sections, the following measures, and rankings will be used.
Explanation of topic/issue/problem to be addressed
4) The response does a clear, explicit, and full job of identifying and explaining the importance of the TWO SDGs and how the TWO SDGs are interconnected for sustainability
3) The response does a good job of identifying the TWO SDGs although some questions remain as to the importance of both or how the TWO SDGs are interconnected for sustainability
2) The response does an adequate job of identifying the TWO SDGs but without clarity about the importance or interconnectedness for sustainability
1) The response does not include TWO SDGs or does not explain their importance or relation to sustainability
Evidence of selecting and using the information to investigate a point of view or conclusion
4) The response does a clear, explicit, and full job of using source(s) with interpretation/evaluation to provide evidence for the response. Viewpoints of experts are questioned and analyzed.
3) The response does a good job of using source(s) with interpretation/evaluation to provide evidence for the response, but some questions or lack of clarity remain. Viewpoints of experts are subject to questioning.
2) The response does an adequate job of identifying the source(s) with interpretation/evaluation to provide evidence for the response but without clarity. Viewpoints of experts are taken as mostly fact, with little questioning.
1) The response does not include the use of sources or provides no interpretation/evaluation of the evidence. Viewpoints of experts are taken as fact, without question.
Influence of context and assumptions
4) Thoroughly (systematically and methodically) analyzes own and others’ assumptions and carefully evaluates the relevance of contexts when presenting a position.
3) Identifies own and others’ assumptions and several relevant contexts when presenting a position.
2) Questions some assumptions. Identifies several relevant contexts when presenting a position. Maybe more aware of others’ assumptions than one’s own (or vice versa).
1) Shows an emerging awareness of present assumptions (sometimes labels assertions as assumptions). Begins to identify some contexts when presenting a position.
Conclusions and related outcomes (implications and consequences)
4) The response clearly explains conclusions and related outcomes (consequences and implications) are logical and reflect student’s informed evaluation and ability to place evidence and perspectives discussed in priority order.
3) The response does a good job of explaining a conclusion that is logically tied to a range of information, including opposing viewpoints; related outcomes (consequences and implications) are identified clearly.
2) The response does an adequate job of explaining a conclusion that is logically tied to information (because the information is chosen to fit the desired conclusion); some related outcomes (consequences and implications) are NOT identified clearly.
1) The response does not include a conclusion or the conclusion is inconsistently tied to some of the information discussed; related outcomes (consequences and implications) are oversimplified.
a) The first question asks, “Justify the relevance of Kennedy’s statement with respect to the UN SDGs with specific references to the role of governments and private corporations.
What was Kennedy’s statement? “By defining our goal more clearly, by making it seem more manageable and less remote, we can help all people to see it, to draw hope from it and to move irresistibly towards it.”
So, “Justify the relevance of this statement with respect to the UN SDGs with specific references to the role of governments and private corporations.” So, the focus of the first part of question 1 (or question 1.a.) is Kennedy’s statement on SDGs.
b) “with specific reference to the role of governments and private corporations.”
What are the roles of governments and private corporations as it pertains to “defining our goal more clearly, by making it seem more manageable and less remote, we can help all people to see it, to draw hope from it and to move irresistibly towards it.”?
Without giving too much away, remember many of our readings have discussed the roles of government and private corporations. We had readings on the United Nations (which is an inter-governmental organization). We had readings that discussed the role of government and private organizations as it pertains oil in the Middle East. And, many other videos and readings.
So now, using class readings, and non-class readings as supporting sources, how does government affect the definition of clear policy goals (in this case as it pertains to the SDGs)? How do private corporations affect the definition of clear goals (again, in this case as it pertains to the SDGs)?
2) The second question is, “Identify two of the SDGs that you consider important (as they relate to either your local community or to your core values). With the two selected SDGs, evaluate the interdependence of those goals while considering how the funding needs and action plans for the goals are interconnected.”
Now, we are moving to focus in on two SDGs and discuss their interdependence. These can be the main topic/title of your midterm.
“while considering how the funding needs and action plans for the goals are interconnected.” This can but does not have to, tie into question 1.b where you can discuss the government and private organizations’ roles in “funding needs” and “action plans.” How are they interconnected?
While there are many ways to organize the essay, one way is to:
1) Use question 2.a as your main topic/title of your essay (your 2 chosen SDGs).
2) Incorporate questions 2.b & 1.b into the two SDGs you chose (2.a).
3) Incorporate question 1.a (Kennedy’s statement). How does his statement affect the two SDGs you chose to discuss and then what do you think that means on how it affects the other SDGs in general.
Why Choose Us
At Myhomeworkwriters.com, we always aim at 100% customer satisfaction. As such, we never compromise o the quality of our homework services. Our homework helpers ensure that they craft each paper carefully to match the requirements of the instruction form.
Professional Academic Writers
With Myhomeworkwriters.com, every student is guaranteed high-quality, professionally written papers. We ensure that we hire individuals with high academic qualifications who can maintain our quality policy. These writers undergo further training to sharpen their writing skills, making them more competent in writing academic papers.
Our company maintains a fair pricing system for all academic writing services to ensure affordability. Our pricing system generates quotations based on the properties of individual papers.
My Homework Writers guarantees all students of swift delivery of papers. We understand that time is an essential factor in the academic world. Therefore, we ensure that we deliver the paper on or before the agreed date to give students ample time for reviewing.
Myhomeworkwriters.com maintains a zero-plagiarism policy in all papers. As such, My Homework Writers professional academic writers ensure that they use the students’ instructions to deliver plagiarism-free papers. We are very keen on avoiding any chance of similarities with previous papers.
Customer Support 24/7
Our customer support works around the clock to provide students with assistance or guidance at any time of the day. Students can always communicate with us through our live chat system or our email and receive instant responses. Feel free to contact us via the Chat window or support email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Our writers complete papers strictly according to your instructions and needs, no matter what university, college, or high school you study in.
Our Homework Writing Services
My Homework Writers holds a reputation for being a platform that provides high-quality homework writing services. All you need to do is provide us with all the necessary requirements of the paper and wait for quality results.
At My Homework Writers, we have highly qualified academic gurus who will offer great assistance towards completing your essays. Our homework writing service providers are well-versed with all the aspects of developing high-quality and relevant essays.
Admission and Business Papers
With Myhomeworkwriters.com, we will help you secure a position at your desired institution. Our essay writing services include the crafting of admissions papers. We will still help you climb your career ladder by helping you write the official papers that will help you secure a job. We will guide you on how to write an outstanding portfolio or resume.
Editing and Proofreading
Myhomeworkwriters.com has a professional editorial team that will help you organize your paper, paraphrase it, and eliminate any possible mistakes. Also, we will help you check on plagiarism to ensure that your final paper posses quality and originality.
My Homework Writers harbors professional academic writers from diverse academic disciplines. As such, we can develop homework writing services in all academic areas. The simplicity or complexity of the paper does not affect the quality of homework writing services.