Introduction to Life Sciences Assignment | Homework Help Websites
Assignments The following Assignments should be completed and submitted to the course faculty via the learning platform for evaluation and grading. Submit your responses to these questions in one WORD document. List the question first, and then your response. Be sure to properly site your sources, both in-text and with a reference list at the conclusion. If you use an online source to support your answers, you must provide a properly formatted link to the source. You should use APA citation format and make sure your sources are credible. In most cases, your responses should be no more than 400 words.
- Suppose you are to specify a short-run production function for dental services. What inputs might you include in the production function? Which would be the variable inputs and which the fixed inputs?
- In your own words, explain the law of diminishing marginal productivity. Be sure to mention the reason this law tends to hold in the short run.
- Explain the difference between technical efficiency and economic efficiency.
- Discuss the relation between the marginal and average productivity curves and the marginal and average variable cost curves.
- What does the elasticity of substitution illustrate? How is it expressed mathematically? What two factors affect its magnitude?
- Explain the difference between the explicit and implicit costs of production. Cite an example of each.
- What does economies of scope mean? Provide an example.
- Explain the reasoning behind the U shape of the long-run average total cost curve. Why might this cost curve shift upward?
- Describe the two limitations associated with the cost theory provided in this chapter when it is applied to explain the behavior of medical firms.
- Suppose that you are interested in comparing the costs of producing inpatient services at Saving Grace Hospital with those at ACME Hospital. Further suppose that the two hospitals annually admit about 24,000 and 32,000 patients, respectively, at average short-run total costs per admission of roughly $11,000 and $12,000.
- Why may these average STC figures not represent the economic cost of providing inpatient services at these two hospitals? Explain fully.
- Using cost theory as presented in the text, identify and fully discuss four other factors that might explain why ACME Hospital has higher average costs of production than Saving Grace Hospital.