Internet technologies and the health care system
Week 4 – Discussion 1
Your initial discussion thread is due on Day 3 (Thursday) and you have until Day 7 (Monday) to respond to your classmates. Your grade will reflect both the quality of your initial post and the depth of your responses.
Internet Technologies and the Health Care System
The use of social media as a source of health information is increasing. For example, large teaching facilities often have a link on their website for additional information about a particular disease or procedure. However, Internet sites like blogs, content communities, and other social networking sites as a source of health information is not without its challenges. These challenges include privacy, security, reimbursement, and accessibility. In your response, address the following:
- How can inadequate or lack of access to communication technology (the digital divide) lead to care inequality in the emerging e-health model?
- Discuss at least two types of social media and give examples of how social media can be applied to e-health.
- Discuss the three challenges noted above and how they relate to the use of social media on the internet as a source of health information.
Guided response: Your initial post should be a minimum of 200-250 words.
- Utilize a minimum of two scholarly sources, excluding the textbook.
- Sources should be cited in APA format, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- You must respond to at least two of your classmate’s posts by Day 7.
- Your three required posts must be on three different days of the week.
- In your response to you classmates discuss the advantages and disadvantages of at least two social media options.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your discussion.