Write a 350 word response that includes using the Heterosexism fact sheet (located in Doc sharing) and the film Southern Comfort. Be sure to discuss the following in your paper:
1-How attitudes have evolved on sexual preference over time.
2-Explain how your attitude has changed and/or remained the same as a result of watching the film.
3-Discuss what you believe is the key reason that people still in 2018 have a hard time with people’s sexual predispositions.
Fact and Information Sheet About:
Heterosexism Heterosexism is the assumption that all people are heterosexual and that heterosexuality is superior and more desirable than homosexuality or bisexuality. Heterosexism is also the stigmatization, denial and/or denigration of anything non-heterosexual. We live in a predominantly heterosexist society and that attitude is used to justify the mistreatment, discrimination and harassment of gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and questioning individuals. Many who are glbtq also internalize this attitude leading to denial of their true selves/identities, low self-esteem, self-hatred and other issues. There would seem to be a direct link between heterosexism and homophobia, the irrational fear or hatred of homosexuals (including bisexuals and transgender individuals).
Some manifestations of heterosexism are:
• It is thought that GLBT people are only looked upon as mere sexual beings rather then complex people with lives apart from their sexuality or gender identity.
• Assuming that every same sex interaction is sexual, or potentially sexual. • Assuming that GLB people are interested in someone of the same sex regardless
of sexual orientation. • Interpreting everything that GLBT people do in terms of their sexuality. • Avoiding touching or becoming close to GLBT people in fear they will take it the
Denying Significance- Personally:
• The opposite of Over-sexualization by assuming that sexual orientation is not significant.
• Remarking, “It doesn’t matter to me that you’re gay.” Sexual identity is significant and should matter.
• Expecting GLBT people not to talk of their relationships as many heterosexual people do, assuming that sexual orientation should not be talked about.
Denying Significance- Politically:
• Criticizing GLBT people for making on issue of their sexuality. Remarking things such as, “I don’t care what they do in bed, but don’t tell me about it.”
• Not understanding that in our culture, which is alternately oblivious to GLBT people, or dangerous for them, sexuality and gender identity is already a political issue.
• Not understanding that heterosexuality is politically enforced by giving legal rights for marriage, finance and other such things, while legally denying homosexuals the right to marriage, housing, jobs, child custody, etc.
Labeling Homosexuality, Bisexuality or Transgender a Problem:
• Being in the mind that GLBT people want or need special treatment. Or believe they all need special treatment because of their sexual orientation.
• Believing that homosexuality, bisexuality or transgender can and should be cured.
• Assuming that everyone is heterosexual until told else wise. • Always asking women about boy friends and men about girlfriends. • Telling GLBT people they are over reacting when they get upset about the
oppression that they feel.
Expecting to be Taught:
• Putting the burden of responsibility for education and for working for change on the GLBT person. Not helping or working for change concerning GLBT issues.
• Forcing GLBT people to take all of the initiative in coming out. • Not making openings to come out by acknowledging in conversations the
possibility of non- heterosexual relations. • Becoming upset that GLBT people are not patient about educating you.
Miss- Defining Homosexuality, Bisexuality:
• Confusing bisexuality with non- monogamy; assuming that bisexuality means being involved simultaneously with both men and women.
• Assuming that bisexuality is fickle or promiscuous, that they cannot commit to a stable monogamous relationship.
• Mussing that lesbians hate men. • Assuming that GLB people want to convert to heterosexuality. • Trying to help someone go “straight.” • Thinking non-heterosexual orientation is a phase. • Assuming lesbians and gay men’s sexual orientation is in reaction to a bad
heterosexual experience. • Thinking that you have more right then a GLBT person to judge the morality or
normalcy or any persons sexual orientation, including heterosexuality.
• As a heterosexual, I am privileged to be able to be free of fear and walk across campus holding my girlfriend’s or boyfriend’s hand.
• As a heterosexual, I am privileged that I can be a member of ROTC without fear of being “found out” and losing my scholarship as well as my career plans.
• As a heterosexual, I am privileged to join a fraternity or sorority without fear of being rejected based on my sexual identity.
• As a heterosexual, I am privileged to be able to talk freely about my “relationships” with roommates, friends, and family.
• As a heterosexual, I am privileged to play varsity sports without the fear of being removed from the team because of my sexual identity.
• As a heterosexual, I am privileged to walk into any bar or dance with my partner and dance without fear of being verbally or physically abused.
• As a heterosexual, I am privileged to interview for jobs and be able to discuss my plans for marriage without fear of being discriminated against.
• As a heterosexual, I am privileged to run for a student leadership position without students focusing only on my sexual identity.
• As a heterosexual, I am privileged to walk this campus without fear of physical or verbal harm based solely on my sexual identity.
• As a heterosexual, I am privileged that I am a member of the dominant culture and I MAY CHOOSE TO BE AN ALLY for gay, lesbian, and bisexual students.
Why Choose Us
At Myhomeworkwriters.com, we always aim at 100% customer satisfaction. As such, we never compromise the quality of our essay services. Our essay helpers ensure that they craft each paper carefully to match the requirements in the instruction form.
Professional Academic Writers
With Myhomeworkwriters.com, every student is guaranteed high-quality, professionally written papers. We ensure that we hire individuals with high academic qualifications who can maintain our quality policy. These writers undergo further training to sharpen their writing skills, making them more competent in writing academic papers.
Our company maintains a fair pricing system for all paper writing services to ensure affordability. Our pricing system generates quotations based on the properties of individual papers.
MyHomeworkWriters guarantees all students of swift delivery of papers. We understand that time is an essential factor in the academic world. Therefore, we ensure that we deliver the paper on or before the agreed date to give students ample time for reviewing.
Myhomeworkwriters.com maintains a zero-plagiarism policy. As such, MyHomeworkWriters ensure that they use the students’ instructions to deliver plagiarism-free papers. We are very keen on avoiding any chance of similarities with previous papers.
Customer Support 24/7
Our customer support works around the clock to provide students with assistance or guidance at any time of the day. Students can always communicate with us through our live chat system or our email and receive instant responses. Feel free to contact us via the Chat window or support email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Our writers complete papers strictly according to your instructions and needs, no matter what university, college, or high school you study in.
Our Essay Writing Services
MyHomeworkWriters holds a reputation for being a platform that provides high-quality academic services. All you need to do is provide us with all the necessary requirements and wait for quality results.
At MyHomeworkWriters, we have highly qualified academic gurus who will offer great assistance towards completing your essays. Our essay help service providers are well-versed with all the aspects of developing high-quality and relevant essays.
Admission and Business Papers
With Myhomeworkwriters.com, we will help you secure a position at your desired institution. Our essay writing services include the crafting of admissions papers. We will still help you climb your career ladder by helping you write the official papers that will help you secure a job. We will guide you on how to write an outstanding portfolio or resume.
Editing and Proofreading
Myhomeworkwriters.com has a professional editorial team that will help you organize your paper, paraphrase it, and eliminate any possible mistakes. Also, we will help you check on plagiarism to ensure that your final paper posses quality and originality.
My Homework Writers harbors professional academic writers from diverse academic disciplines. As such, we can develop essay help services in all academic areas. The simplicity or complexity of the paper does not affect the quality of essay writing services.