Health Policy Brief Draft Assignment | Nursing
Health Policy Brief Draft Grading Criteria
The health policy brief draft is 5% of your total grade or 5 points. This is a 2-3 page draft of the health policy brief (not including the title page and references page). The draft format is columns.
You will receive 5 points for submitting the draft. The draft submission is to ensure you are on the right track and are using column format. The brief will also be graded to give you an idea of the grade you would have received if you did submit a draft. THIS GRADE DOES NOT COUNT. IT IS FOR INFORMATION PURPOSES ONLY.
Follow the explanation below:
1. Health issue or policy issue identified for a particular community, audience, advocacy group, or legislator
2. Intended audience identified or clear to the reader
3. Health issue or policy issue briefly summarized
4. Knowledge of the topic
5. Discussed current or pending legislation (local, state, and/or federal) about the issue,
6. Provides a recommendation or supports an existing recommendation
7. Appropriate length of brief
Content refers to the organization of the brief. The brief is consistent with the topic discussed.
All papers must meet standards for scholarly writing and graduate level work. Your paper should be well written (clarity), have the appropriate type and number of references, if applicable, and meet APA style and formatting standards. Problems in these areas can result in up to 2.5 point deduction on your overall paper.
Clarity (2 points)
Mechanics: Correct sentence structure, grammar, and appropriate capitalization. Correct punctuation and style, no spelling errors, no run-on sentences, no sentence fragments, no incomplete thoughts, and dangling participles. NO QUOTES ALLOWED – PARAPHRASE
Language: No medical jargon, no colloquialisms (slang and informal ways of speaking) unless using this language for a reason (repeating a conversation or giving an example).
Logic: The arguments put forth are understandable and are connected to the concepts and topics discussed. The issues raised by the paper are important and relevant to the course material and topic.
Health Policy Brief Grading Criteria
1. Audience intended for the brief was clearly identified
2. Brief was organized in a logical manner
3. Ideas were clearly presented
4. Correct usage of grammar and style
5. Medical jargon not used or explained
6. Complete sentences used
7. Correct spelling
8. Recommendation provided or supported
9. No quotes allowed
Adequacy of references used in the paper as well as an appropriate number of references used to support the paper and the discussion.
References Format: (1 point)
1) Paper had appropriate number of references: minimum six references
2) References were appropriate
a. References must be current (most references should not be older than five years old unless a seminal work or not much research has been done in this area)
3) PEER reviewed reputable journals
4) You may use only one of each of the following:
a. Reputable website only (e.g., CDC)
b. Reputable newspaper article only (e.g., New York Times).
5) Research findings from primary sources (this is considered original research)
a. You may not use review articles, meta-analysis, or literature reviews
6) Textbooks can only be used if you are using a theoretical framework as part of your
7) References cited correctly
b. References list
i. Must be on a separate page
ii. References (the word) centered
8) Correct APA citing (in-text and references list)
a. Hanging indent used (references list)
b. Double spacing
c. Volume #
d. Issue # if available
e. Correct doi format:
i. https://doi.org/10.1037/arc0000014 (new format) – PREFERRED ii. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/arc0000014
9) Journal URL if doi unknown
10) URL address must not have an underline
APA Format: (0.5 points)
1) Title page
2) Correct margins (1 inch)