Formal Academic Essay Assignment | Top Universities
For this assignment, you will draft a formal, academic essay in MLA format that details an argument about your selected topic. You will use the outline from the previous assignment as a guide, but you can make modifications to your thesis and argument as necessary. Here are the basic requirements for your essay:
(1) Your essay must be 4-5 pages in MLA format with an additional Works Cited page.
(2) You must use at least 4 sources in this essay, two of which MUST be academic journal articles. The other two may be journal articles or other credible, academic sources.
(3) Your essay must be organized with a formal structure, developed with concrete evidence and analysis, documented in appropriate, ethical MLA style, and written with a formal, clear style.
Please use the following guidelines to help develop a successful essay:
(1) Your essay should begin with an introduction that introduces the topic and ends with a strong thesis. Your thesis should state your argument and its major reasons in a clear, concise manner. Think of it as a mini-map of your paper for a reader.
(2) Then, you should include a background paragraph that offers your reader more information about the topic and its current debate (or relevant history). Make sure your reader is clear about the exigence of the argument; in other words, why does this argument matter NOW?
(3) After, you should include two to four paragraphs that identify your two to four major reasons. Each paragraph should have a clear topic sentence that links back to the thesis, and you should support each body paragraph with sufficient, credible evidence and analysis.
(4) Before you conclude, please add a Refutation of Opposing Arguments, where you will present the opposing side or potential obstacles and offer a refutation in order to convince your reader and eliminate bias.
(5) Finally, compose a conclusion paragraph that ties all of your paper’s points together and argues an overall significance.
(6) Each body paragraph should include concrete evidence from research. You should integrate your research smoothly and ethically. Use identifying tags to introduce your sources and show your reader an outside idea. Always analyze the significance of the research before you move on to the next point! Example: In Jason Ree’s article, he notes that, “QUOTE” (32). This reveals that…
(7) Your tone and style needs to be academic and polished. This helps add credibility to your voice. Reading aloud will help the most with this! Avoid first and second person in this style of writing.
Your paper should reach a minimum of four pages, 1000 – 1200 words, not including the Works Cited page.
You must submit your rough draft to our online tutoring service, NetTutor, by the due date. Then, before the final paper is due, upload your feedback from NetTutor, along with your rough draft, to Blackboard. Get English homework help today