You will read the text pages that I request. For this assignment read pages 118-122 the specified pages you will need to complete the assignment will be added to this posting as an attachment. You will then provide a detailed outline of the material and a personal summary or impression of what was covered. The detailed outline will be a minimum of 3 pages. Be sure to include text content that is located in “call out areas” or boxes in the text. Answer must be in Microsoft Word and must be an original answer no plagiarism. There will be no plagiarism!!! Indicate the page numbers you’ve outlined in the subject line of your post. I’ve posted an example of what the teacher expects. You have to use this format and Quick Note: You will notice that the textbook assigned to this class uses Wikipedia as a resource. However, I want to point out that you should not use Wikipedia as a source for your coursework. Here’s an article discussing the limitations of Wikipedia.
Example: Science in the Social Sciences
The textbook begins with a quote from Albert Einstein: “Science is the attempt to make the chaotic diversity of our sense-experience correspond to a logically uniform system of thought” (p. 5).
– Truth is not created. It is discovered. Science is an organized attempt to discover truth.
The book clarifies the 3 main categories of science:
1) Natural: study of natural phenomena (cosmological, geological, chemical, biological, etc.)
2) Formal: study of math and logic that use an a priori, rather than factual, methodology (basically, a priori is knowledge that we have and can apply , rather than needing to measure something to gain knowledge about it)
3) Social: study of human behavior and sciences
Einstein was a theoretical physicist; this falls under formal sciences. He did not like things that were unpredictable an he was bothered by chaos. He tried to find ways to predict the unpredictable.
In this class:
We are interested in social sciences, and in particular how that knowledge can be applied to help systems of all sizes. Human services apply methods and findings from social science to improve the lives of people (individuals, groups – such as families, and larger social context – communities).
At the same time, all sciences have a lot in common. The textbook discusses the example of chaos theory. Chaos theory is a branch of mathematics (which is a science itself). Chaos theory deals with conditions where prediction is not possible.
– Chaotic diversity describes things on the quantum level and the human condition
– Chaos theory has implications when working with people; this was recently realized
– Human Services dislike chaos; we want to explain, possibly predict, and prevent human misery
* We can take another look at Einstein’s quote: “Science is the attempt to make the chaotic diversity of our sense-experience correspond to a logically uniform system of thought” (p. 5).
He is telling us:
– we have a rich and imaginative sensory capacity that provides us with a vast way of experiencing and interpreting our world
– at the same time (from an evolutionary standpoint) our sensory capacity is built for survival in the heat of the moment, rather than cool calculation of empirical analysis
– Things like intuition and instinct are useful, but we can add science to our toolbox. Through science, we can explore our world in a way to test our assumption and theories. Science helps us increase our rational understanding of the world.
Who talks more?
Knowledge through theories/assumptions vs Knowledge through Science
Many people believe that women tend to talk more than men.
– Some have suggested the difference has a biological basis
– One estimated that’s often cited is that women spoke 20,000 words p/day and men spoke 7,000 words p/day.
– The claim seemed plausible, and a group of psychologists decided to find out if it was true. What did they do?
1) Checked the literature to see if anyone had actually counted (no one had). Instead, they just found theories and assumptions that were often based on cultural stereotypes
2) Conducted a research study with 369 men and women. They concluded men and women speak roughly the same amount.
* This study is used as an example to show that research can show us that sometimes what we think is true, really isn’t.
* Why is this important in the field of Human Services?
– Because what we believe about people, and how they behave, is fundamental to effectively work with clients. What we believe can sometimes be wrong, inaccurate, or incomplete.
– We should keep in mind as professionals, whenever possible, to act according to the best information that we have on hand. This means we need to be informed as to what science has empirically indicated.
Science and Human Services
Human Services is a profession, rather than a science. It draws on our profession’s research, as well as the research of colleagues in other disciplines such as social work, anthropology, sociology, education, etc. So, Human Services is interdisciplinary.
– Some disciplines are considered social science (like psychology) and some are considered professions (like Human Services)
– We are all engaged in research to find the best methods for helping the human condition
– Human Service professionals engage in the research process; human services practice should be based on empirical research whenever possible.
Empirically Based Research
This is considered a best practice, and Human Service practitioners should try to only use techniques, methods, and approaches that are empirically derived.
Empirically based practice means using quality research from peer reviewed sources in your professional practice. How?
– professional journals
– online databases
– continuing education
– assessing the results of your practice in an ethical way
The Emergence of Science and the Scientific Method
The scientific method is “a method or procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.” (according to Oxford Dictionaries Online)
– The method has expanded from the natural sciences into social sciences to include disciplines such as anthropology, sociology, psychology, social work, and Human Services.
A few important people in the emergence of science. Throughout history, people have struggled to make this unpredictable and sometimes dangerous place more tolerable and predictable.
– Francis Bacon (1561 – 1626): considered first person to conceptualize scientific method
– Galileo (1564 – 1642)
– Copernicus (1473 – 1543)
– Plato, Socrates, and Aristotle
– Knowledge has been gained slowly, but it accumulates over the years.
– The scientific method was just one innovation, but it forms the foundation for all modern research.
We have a legal, moral, and ethical responsibility to our profession, ourselves, society, and our clients to use science.
* while not all Human Service practitioners are engages in research, all practitioners are consumers of research in their personal and professional lives.
What are the Modern Features of Science?
1) Systematic Empiricism
2) Scientific Approach
3) Public Knowledge
1) Systematic Empiricism: learning based on observation.
– Scientists learn about the world by carefully planning observations, making observations, recording observations, and analyzing those observations
– A lot of what we know (which may or may not be true) is acquired haphazardly
– Within science, logical reasoning and creativity play important roles. Scientists are unique in their insistence on checking ideas about the way the world seems to be.
– Instead of knowledge through tradition, superstition, guessing, etc., science uses systematic observation to gain knowledge. Look at the “Who Talks More” example; the researchers did not trust other people’s stereotypes or their own informal observations. Instead, they systematically recorded, counted, and compared the number of words spoken by a large sample of women and men.
The textbook discusses the concept of science and how it relates to Human Services. Through discussion and examples, the important role that research plays in Human Services is addressed. Human Service professionals need to understand and utilize research and its scientific principles in order to effectively do their job, and not rely on informal observations, guessing, traditions, etc. for knowledge when working with clients. While Human Service practitioners may not conduct research, it’s crucial to understand how scientific research fits into practice. In my past work experiences, I have used the research of others, as well as conducted my own research, and so I’ve found what is said on these pages to be very true. To better comprehend situations and provide the best services, practitioners need to be able to understand and utilize the concepts of social research.
Why Choose Us
At Myhomeworkwriters.com, we always aim at 100% customer satisfaction. As such, we never compromise o the quality of our homework services. Our homework helpers ensure that they craft each paper carefully to match the requirements of the instruction form.
Professional Academic Writers
With Myhomeworkwriters.com, every student is guaranteed high-quality, professionally written papers. We ensure that we hire individuals with high academic qualifications who can maintain our quality policy. These writers undergo further training to sharpen their writing skills, making them more competent in writing academic papers.
Our company maintains a fair pricing system for all academic writing services to ensure affordability. Our pricing system generates quotations based on the properties of individual papers.
My Homework Writers guarantees all students of swift delivery of papers. We understand that time is an essential factor in the academic world. Therefore, we ensure that we deliver the paper on or before the agreed date to give students ample time for reviewing.
Myhomeworkwriters.com maintains a zero-plagiarism policy in all papers. As such, My Homework Writers professional academic writers ensure that they use the students’ instructions to deliver plagiarism-free papers. We are very keen on avoiding any chance of similarities with previous papers.
Customer Support 24/7
Our customer support works around the clock to provide students with assistance or guidance at any time of the day. Students can always communicate with us through our live chat system or our email and receive instant responses. Feel free to contact us via the Chat window or support email: email@example.com.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Our Homework Writing Services
My Homework Writers holds a reputation for being a platform that provides high-quality homework writing services. All you need to do is provide us with all the necessary requirements of the paper and wait for quality results.
At My Homework Writers, we have highly qualified academic gurus who will offer great assistance towards completing your essays. Our homework writing service providers are well-versed with all the aspects of developing high-quality and relevant essays.
Admission and Business Papers
With Myhomeworkwriters.com, we will help you secure a position at your desired institution. Our essay writing services include the crafting of admissions papers. We will still help you climb your career ladder by helping you write the official papers that will help you secure a job. We will guide you on how to write an outstanding portfolio or resume.
Editing and Proofreading
Myhomeworkwriters.com has a professional editorial team that will help you organize your paper, paraphrase it, and eliminate any possible mistakes. Also, we will help you check on plagiarism to ensure that your final paper posses quality and originality.
My Homework Writers harbors professional academic writers from diverse academic disciplines. As such, we can develop homework writing services in all academic areas. The simplicity or complexity of the paper does not affect the quality of homework writing services.