Ethics in action | Education homework help
Ethics in Action
Criterion Two. Integrity: Ethical and Responsible Conduct
The institution acts with integrity; its conduct is ethical and responsible.
—Higher Learning Commission, “The Criteria for Accreditation and Core Components”
The Higher Learning Commission (HLC), which accredits institutions of higher learning in the north central section of the United States, requires its member institutions to operate ethically and responsibly. The other five commissions require the same of their institutions. Some ethical lapses are obvious, such as when someone falsifies data in research or when athletes pass courses they have not attended. Other ethical issues can be tragic, such as when a research subject dies during the course of a study.
For this Discussion, you will examine how institutions have addressed questions of integrity on their campuses and how leaders have responded.
- Research an institution of higher education that has experienced a crisis situation that had an ethical or integrity component.
- Consider the situation in light of the HLC’s Criterion Two.
- You may also choose to use the integrity criteria from another accrediting body. If you do, include a reference with your submission.
By Day 3 of Week 7
Write a post in which you briefly describe the ethical situation. Include responses to the following:
- Analyze whether the situation violates HLC’s Criterion Two.
- Make a recommendation to avoid the situation in the future.
- Provide evidence to support your position.
- Include links and APA formatting for your evidence.