In this final unit of the course, you will learn how to write a persuasive research essay. The skills involved in writing such an essay will be valuable to you as you move throughout college and even after, as you pursue your career. In the lessons that follow, we will practice conducting research, evaluating sources, integrating quotations, and making arguments.
In the final essay that concludes this unit (and this course), you should demonstrate all of the skills that you have learned this semester. As you are drafting the essay, I strongly recommend reviewing your previous essays and revisiting any lessons or concepts that you find challenging.
Student Learning Outcomes addressed in this unit:
These are the vocabulary words for Unit 5. Remember to incorporate them into your Discussion Board in this unit.
Plausible Objectivity Substantiated
Integrity Effusive Superfluous
Sanction Fabricated Ambiguous
You should have already chosen a topic for your final essay. Now, you need to explore the multiple viewpoints associated with that topic. Go to the discussion board and write a brief essay (300 words minimum) summarizing some of the multiple viewpoints associated with that topic (for and against, pro and con). At the end of your essay, present your own opinion on the topic in the form of a thesis statement or arguable claim. Refer to the previous video lesson on constructing an arguable thesis to help you.
As you respond to your peers (2 replies, 100 words each), try to fill in any gaps you see in their understanding of the pros and cons of the issue. In addition, evaluate the thesis statement. Does it make a limited and arguable claim about the topic or issue? If not, suggest ways to improve the thesis.
For this Writer’s Notebook assignment, you will be practicing paraphrasing, summarizing, and quoting. First, you should choose an article that you will be using as a source for your Argument essay. Then, you should find three different pieces of evidence that you might use in your essay as support material. Complete the Writer’s Notebook in 4 steps as explained below:
1. Create a “quotation sandwich” out of one of the pieces of evidence.
2. Paraphrase a different piece of evidence. Include both the original and your paraphrase for comparison.
3. Summarize another piece of evidence. Again, include the original and your summary.
4. Include an in-text citation for each! At the end, be sure to include a Works Cited entry for each source.
For your final Writer’s notebook in this course, you will create an outline for the argument essay. Use one of the outline templates provided in the previous lesson “Basic Argument Essay Structure.” You can then use the outline to help you focus and organize the first draft of your argument.
II. First Reason
Evidence & Explanation
Wrap-up / connect to the thesis
III. Second Reason (same as above)
IV. Continue with more reasons
V. Refute Counterarguments (Counterargument
paragraphs can go anywhere, but they often go
toward the end)
Might include a call to action
Or a statement of the implications
II. First Reason
III. Refute counterarguments (if necessary)
IV. Second reason (same as II.)
V. Refute counterarguments (if necessary)
VI. Continue with this pattern
Might include a call to action
Or a statement of implications
Please follow this link to complete the peer review assignment.
1. Read your peer’s essay from beginning to end just to let its ideas wash over you. What are your initial thoughts? Did your peer satisfy the requirements of assignment? Please explain in detail.
2. Review the essay’s title as well as its introduction and conclusion. Think about the relationships among these three components. Do they match or do they disagree? Make note of strengths or weaknesses in these crucial areas. Please explain in detail.
3. At the core of an argument essay is a debatable thesis statement. Find the essay’s thesis. Is it clear? Does it make a debatable claim about the topic? Paraphrase (put in your own words) the thesis of the essay to check your understanding. Review the assignment guidelines to ensure that your peer’s thesis is on target. Make note of strengths or weaknesses in this area. Please explain in detail.
4. Evaluate the quality of the research. Do the sources and quotations seem relevant to the argument? Are the sources professional and trustworthy? Does each quotation or paraphrase have a citation? Is there a works cited page with at least 5 sources? Are these sources actually cited/discussed in the essay?
5. Focus on the individual paragraphs of the essay. Does each paragraph have a topic sentence that previews the ideas of the paragraph? Observe the essay’s development of paragraphs. Does each paragraph have a single main idea that relates to the thesis? Are there any paragraphs that seem disconnected or out of place?
6. Consider the essay’s use of the English language. Are sentence structures, grammar, spelling, punctuation and mechanics employed effectively, or do errors distract the reader from understanding and enjoying the writer’s analysis? Make note of strengths and weaknesses in this area. Please explain in detail.
Why Choose Us
At Myhomeworkwriters.com, we always aim at 100% customer satisfaction. As such, we never compromise o the quality of our homework services. Our homework helpers ensure that they craft each paper carefully to match the requirements of the instruction form.
Professional Academic Writers
With Myhomeworkwriters.com, every student is guaranteed high-quality, professionally written papers. We ensure that we hire individuals with high academic qualifications who can maintain our quality policy. These writers undergo further training to sharpen their writing skills, making them more competent in writing academic papers.
Our company maintains a fair pricing system for all academic writing services to ensure affordability. Our pricing system generates quotations based on the properties of individual papers.
My Homework Writers guarantees all students of swift delivery of papers. We understand that time is an essential factor in the academic world. Therefore, we ensure that we deliver the paper on or before the agreed date to give students ample time for reviewing.
Myhomeworkwriters.com maintains a zero-plagiarism policy in all papers. As such, My Homework Writers professional academic writers ensure that they use the students’ instructions to deliver plagiarism-free papers. We are very keen on avoiding any chance of similarities with previous papers.
Customer Support 24/7
Our customer support works around the clock to provide students with assistance or guidance at any time of the day. Students can always communicate with us through our live chat system or our email and receive instant responses. Feel free to contact us via the Chat window or support email: email@example.com.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Our Homework Writing Services
My Homework Writers holds a reputation for being a platform that provides high-quality homework writing services. All you need to do is provide us with all the necessary requirements of the paper and wait for quality results.
At My Homework Writers, we have highly qualified academic gurus who will offer great assistance towards completing your essays. Our homework writing service providers are well-versed with all the aspects of developing high-quality and relevant essays.
Admission and Business Papers
With Myhomeworkwriters.com, we will help you secure a position at your desired institution. Our essay writing services include the crafting of admissions papers. We will still help you climb your career ladder by helping you write the official papers that will help you secure a job. We will guide you on how to write an outstanding portfolio or resume.
Editing and Proofreading
Myhomeworkwriters.com has a professional editorial team that will help you organize your paper, paraphrase it, and eliminate any possible mistakes. Also, we will help you check on plagiarism to ensure that your final paper posses quality and originality.
My Homework Writers harbors professional academic writers from diverse academic disciplines. As such, we can develop homework writing services in all academic areas. The simplicity or complexity of the paper does not affect the quality of homework writing services.