Project 3 instructions
Based on Larson & Farber: sections 5.2-5.3
Go to this website. (http://www.google.com/finance/historical?q=NASDAQ:GOOG) You may need to copy and paste the link. Click the link on the right that says Download to Spreadsheet. Set the date range to end the day before the first Monday of the current term and to start 1 year before that. For example, if the current term started on 04/01/2014, then use 04/01/2013 – 03/31/2014. Your dates will be going back exactly 1 year. This term started on August 18, so use August 18, 2013—August 18, 2014.
This project will only use the Closing Values. Assume that the closing prices of the stock form a normally distributed data set. This means that you need to use Excel to find the mean and standard deviation and then use those numbers and the methods you learned in sections 5.2 and 5.3 of our text book for Normal distributions to answer the questions.
Complete this assignment within a single Excel file. Show your work or explain how you obtained each of your answers. Answers with no work and no explanation will receive no credit.
Here are 2 videos that may help you:
Video for histogram
Video for mean, standard deviation, and quartiles
1. If a person bought 1 share of Google stock within the last year, what is the probability that the stock on that day closed at less than the mean for that year? Hint: You do not want to calculate the mean to answer this one. The probability would be the same for any normal distribution. (4 points) Use the Empirical Rule (percentiles) from Chapter 2.
2. If a person bought one share of Google stock within the last year, what is the probability that the stock on that day closed at more than $400? (6 points)
Hint: Use Excel to find the mean and standard deviation. Then find the z score and use the standard normal table.
This one can be done on the calculator easily.
3. If a person bought 1 share of Google stock within the last year, what is the probability that the stock on that day closed within $45 of the mean for that year? (6 points) Hint: Find two z scores and use the Standard Normal Table. This one can also be done on the calculator easily.
4. Suppose a person within the last year claimed to have bought Google stock at closing at $362.50 per share. What is the probability that the stock closed at $362.50 or less on a randomly selected business day? (6 points)
5. At what prices would Google have to close at in order for it to be considered statistically unusual? You should have a low and high value. (6 points)
6. What are Quartile 1, Quartile 2, and Quartile 3 in this data set? Use Excel to find these values. This is the only question that you should answer without using anything about the Normal distribution. (6 points)
7. Is the normality assumption that was made at the beginning valid? Why or why not? Hint: Does this distribution have the properties of a normal distribution as described in our textbook? It does not need to be perfect. Real data sets are never perfect. However, it should be close. One option would be to construct a histogram like we did in Project 1 and see if it has the right shape. If you go this route, something in the range of 10 to 12 classes would be a good number. (6 points)
I would like for you to be sure to use the book and look at info in Chapter 5.2. Most of these questions can be answered using this section, the Empirical Rule in Chapter 2, and the info on unusual z-scores.
Why Choose Us
At Myhomeworkwriters.com, we always aim at 100% customer satisfaction. As such, we never compromise o the quality of our homework services. Our homework helpers ensure that they craft each paper carefully to match the requirements of the instruction form.
Professional Academic Writers
With Myhomeworkwriters.com, every student is guaranteed high-quality, professionally written papers. We ensure that we hire individuals with high academic qualifications who can maintain our quality policy. These writers undergo further training to sharpen their writing skills, making them more competent in writing academic papers.
Our company maintains a fair pricing system for all academic writing services to ensure affordability. Our pricing system generates quotations based on the properties of individual papers.
My Homework Writers guarantees all students of swift delivery of papers. We understand that time is an essential factor in the academic world. Therefore, we ensure that we deliver the paper on or before the agreed date to give students ample time for reviewing.
Myhomeworkwriters.com maintains a zero-plagiarism policy in all papers. As such, My Homework Writers professional academic writers ensure that they use the students’ instructions to deliver plagiarism-free papers. We are very keen on avoiding any chance of similarities with previous papers.
Customer Support 24/7
Our customer support works around the clock to provide students with assistance or guidance at any time of the day. Students can always communicate with us through our live chat system or our email and receive instant responses. Feel free to contact us via the Chat window or support email: email@example.com.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Our Homework Writing Services
My Homework Writers holds a reputation for being a platform that provides high-quality homework writing services. All you need to do is provide us with all the necessary requirements of the paper and wait for quality results.
At My Homework Writers, we have highly qualified academic gurus who will offer great assistance towards completing your essays. Our homework writing service providers are well-versed with all the aspects of developing high-quality and relevant essays.
Admission and Business Papers
With Myhomeworkwriters.com, we will help you secure a position at your desired institution. Our essay writing services include the crafting of admissions papers. We will still help you climb your career ladder by helping you write the official papers that will help you secure a job. We will guide you on how to write an outstanding portfolio or resume.
Editing and Proofreading
Myhomeworkwriters.com has a professional editorial team that will help you organize your paper, paraphrase it, and eliminate any possible mistakes. Also, we will help you check on plagiarism to ensure that your final paper posses quality and originality.
My Homework Writers harbors professional academic writers from diverse academic disciplines. As such, we can develop homework writing services in all academic areas. The simplicity or complexity of the paper does not affect the quality of homework writing services.