Discussion Post Assignments | Online Homework Help
Please cite all the pages and sources of what you are citing
Relevant readings for this:
CV: Moore and Coleman. Starving for Diversity: Ideological Implications of Race Representations in Hunger Games. Journal of Popular Culture (2015)
Link: http://jezebel.com/5896408/racist-hunger-games-fans-dont-care-how-much-money-the-movie-made (Links to an external site.)
Link: https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/100000004706646/thisis2016-asian-americans-respond.html (Links to an external site.)
The Moore and Coleman
Actions article is a dense reading and can be paired with the other two readings (links), but first do the following, in the order listed here and numbered/separated accordingly (and don’t forget to respond to another student’s post when you’re done for full pts):
1) Tell me and your classmates about the Hunger Games/Twitter controversy. Briefly: what happened? [You’re welcome to use the Jezebel article to help with this]
2) Summarize why you think your prof wrote this article for the Journal of Popular Culture: what main point am I trying to make to my audience? Think broad (not just the Twitter controversy) and move to the myth of a “post-racial” society.
3) Then, what two methods did I use? Hint: one may be associated with a “symptom” and the other has three components by Croteau and Hoynes. List them and define them clearly.
4) What did we find in our analysis of racial representations of Hunger Games? What “ideologies” did we find that the movie was sending to its audience when it comes to the representation of people of color?
5) That was then, perhaps things have changed? Read this link: https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/100000004706646/thisis2016-asian-americans-respond.html (Links to an external site.)
and tell me why we still have a problem with the idea of race in our society. Be specific, with specific examples.
6) Respond to one other student’s post.