Discussion Assignment | Buy Assignments Online
Trauma-Informed Social Work and Mindfulness Resources Readings • Turner, F. J. (Ed.). (2017). Social work treatment: Interlocking theoretical approaches (6th ed.). New York, NY: Oxford University Press. o Chapter 20: Mindfulness and Social Work (pp. 325– 337) o Chapter 37: Trauma-Informed Social Work Treatment and Complex Trauma (pp. 553–573)
• Garland, E. L. (2013). Mindfulness research in social work: Conceptual and methodological recommendations. Social Work Research, 37(4), 439–448. https://doi.org/10.1093/swr/svt038
• Vis, J.-A. & Boynton, H. M. (2008). Spirituality and transcendent meaning making: Possibilities for enhancing posttraumatic growth. Journal of Religion & Spirituality in Social Work, 27(1/2): 69–86. doi:http://dx.doi.org.ezp.waldenulibrary.org/10.1080/15426430 802113814
• UCLA Health. (n.d.). Free guided meditations. Retrieved December 8, 2017, from http://marc.ucla.edu/mindfulmeditations For Discussion 2, listen to a guided meditation by selecting a link on this website. Media
• Sommers-Flanagan, J., & Sommers-Flanagan, R. (2014). Counseling and psychotherapy theories in context and practice [Video file]. Retrieved from http://www.psychotherapy.net.ezp.waldenulibrary.org/stream/w aldenu/video?vid=277 This week, watch the “Existential Therapy” segment by clicking the applicable link under the “Chapters” tab.
- Listen to a recording from those found at this website listed in the Learning Resources: UCLA Health. (n.d.). Free guided meditations. Retrieved December 8, 2017, from http://marc.ucla.edu/mindful-meditations
- Read this article listed in the Learning Resources: Garland, E. L. (2013). Mindfulness research in social work: Conceptual and methodological recommendations. Social Work Research, 37(4), 439–448. https://doi.org/10.1093/swr/svt038
- Conduct a library search in the Walden Library for one research study about the effectiveness of mindfulness as an intervention for the client in the case study you have been using. Remember when looking for studies to take into account your client’s age, developmental stage, and presenting problem.
You may not have experienced or practiced mindfulness. After you listen to the recordings found on the website listed in the Learning Resources, reflect on some of the following questions: (1) What did you notice? (2) What were you thinking while you were listening? (3) What were you feeling while you were listening? (4) How was your body reacting while listening? (5) How did you feel after you practiced mindfulness?
Discussion 2 Evaluating the Effectiveness of Mindfulness Interventions:
• In 1 to 2 sentences, respond to one of the four following questions in terms of what you noticed during the mindfulness exercise you completed: o What were you thinking while you were listening? o What were you feeling while you were listening? o How was your body reacting while listening? o How did you feel after you practiced mindfulness?
• In 2 to 3 sentences, describe your experience practicing this technique and how this experience influences your choice on whether to use it with a client during practice. o Provide the reference for the study you found, and be sure to use citations in the body of your post using APA guidelines.
• In 1 to 2 sentences, briefly summarize the methodological context (i.e., research method, how data was collected, and the instruments used) of the studies and the findings.
• Evaluate the findings in terms of their validity and applicability for the client.