Current Events Assignment | Current Events
Current Event Assignment
What Should be Included in a Current Event Paper?
Each current event paper should be approximately one page in length and should include the
(1) A correct citation of the article including title, author, publication, and publication date
(2) A brief (one paragraph) explanation/summary of the article – please don’t copy the article –
use your own words to paraphrase and
summarize the article.
(3) An explanation of why this particular article was chosen by you. What drew your attention
to this article? What issues or events
interest you? Why?
(4) A description of how this current event article relates to a topic of study described in this
Texas government class
(5) An explanation of how you feel this current event/article will impact yourself, your city,
county, or the State of Texas.
All articles should be relevant to subjects presented in class or in the textbook and should be
directly related to the government! Current events should be timely, relevant, and of interest to
students of political science (ie. no articles from two years ago, no sports scores, not about the
Justin Bieber concert in Austin or Shakira visiting El Paso; should be related to political issues
related to topics we are studying or those topics described in the book or syllabus).