The Right to the City and Reading the Right to the City
Critical Reading Worksheet
French sociologist and philosopher, Henri Lefebvre’s work focuses on wide variety of ideas and concepts. He wrote extensively about the concepts of everyday life, the production of (urban) space and cities. The Right to the City may be Lefebvre’s most widely recognized concept. Lefebvre published The Right to the City in 1968, and this term became popularized when the May 1968 student/worker rebellion in Paris took up Lefebvre’s call for a Right to the City as one of their slogans. More recently, The Right to the City has become a unifying banner for a variety of political groups working on urban issues.
Lefebvre’s makes an intellectual case for the right to the city. Like many philosophical arguments, he spends a great deal of time setting-up his argument, defining the concepts it is grounded in, and situating his ideas into the larger academic conversation. Much of the article will be difficult to understand without having some previous knowledge about the urban condition. The purpose of this worksheet is to help you navigate through the article and to highlight the pages that you need to focus on in order to understand Lefebvre’s call for a Right to the City.
You will also read an article about homelessness in Pretoria, South Africa that applies Lefebvre’s concept of the right to the city to the everyday survival strategies people use while living on the streets. “Homelessness in Pretoria: Exploring the survival challenges of the homeless and their right to the city” is a much more straightforward article that is easier to understand.
You will most likely find Lefebvre’s writing to be difficult. Don’t get discouraged. Struggle through it using this worksheet as a guide and know that the second article will be much easier to read and understand.
In pages 147-157, Lefebvre establishes the need for a right to the city by critiquing the ways in which cities are conceived and constructed. You should skim through this part of the reading, doing your best to understand what he is saying, but not feeling pressured to read and re-read sections until you comprehend them. Just try to get a sense of his main ideas, don’t worry too much about details. As you read, answer the following questions:
1. Read the second, full paragraph on page 148 (It starts with “The science of the city…”) What is Lefebvre critiquing in this paragraph? Can you glean any information about how he conceptualizes cities and urban life from this section?
2. Lefebvre was also concerned with the accelerated urbanization that was occurring alongside the increased commodification of urban space and life. Urban theorists borrow a concept from Marx (use value vs. exchange value) to discuss some of these contradictions. Exchange-value refers to the price or market value of an object and use-value refers to the intrinsic value people place on an object. How does Lefebvre incorporate this concept into his argument (see pages 152-3)?
3. In earlier writings on the history of the Paris Commune, Lefebvre referred to the city as an oeuvre (loosely translated an artistic work or a body of artistic work, see pages 156-7). How do you think this concept of the city as oeuvre relates to the notion of the Right to the City?
Read from page 157, first full paragraph (begins with “Among the contradictions characteristic of our time”…) to the end of the article, page 159. This is the section of the article where Lefebvre introduces and outlines the concept of the right to the city.
4. How does Lefebvre describe and define the Right to the City in these pages?
5. Who must assert their Right to the City? Why?
6. Does Lefebvre outline any specific rights that this Right to the City entails (like are outline in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights)? If so, what are they? If not, what do you think they would be?
Many urban scholars and activists find the concept of the Right to the City to be a useful framework for talking about issues of access, participation, opportunity, inclusion, and equality in cities. Now read the second article, “Homelessness in Pretoria: Exploring the survival challenges of the homeless and their right to the city.” Read this article in its entirety. It should be much easier to read and understand. Don’t worry too much about the methodology section (pgs. 430-431). Answer the following questions:
1. List some of the survival challenges that people experiencing homelessness face in Pretoria. How many of these challenges are universal to the experience of homelessness around the world, including here in Portland, and how many are unique to Pretoria or southern Africa?
2. Are homeless people denied a right to the city? Provide examples from the reading or from your own observations/experiences in Portland to support your ideas.
3. If all inhabitants of Pretoria (or Portland) were guaranteed a “right to the city,” how would the lives of homeless people change? What would this “right to the city” entail and why?
Why Choose Us
At Myhomeworkwriters.com, we always aim at 100% customer satisfaction. As such, we never compromise o the quality of our homework services. Our homework helpers ensure that they craft each paper carefully to match the requirements of the instruction form.
Professional Academic Writers
With Myhomeworkwriters.com, every student is guaranteed high-quality, professionally written papers. We ensure that we hire individuals with high academic qualifications who can maintain our quality policy. These writers undergo further training to sharpen their writing skills, making them more competent in writing academic papers.
Our company maintains a fair pricing system for all academic writing services to ensure affordability. Our pricing system generates quotations based on the properties of individual papers.
My Homework Writers guarantees all students of swift delivery of papers. We understand that time is an essential factor in the academic world. Therefore, we ensure that we deliver the paper on or before the agreed date to give students ample time for reviewing.
Myhomeworkwriters.com maintains a zero-plagiarism policy in all papers. As such, My Homework Writers professional academic writers ensure that they use the students’ instructions to deliver plagiarism-free papers. We are very keen on avoiding any chance of similarities with previous papers.
Customer Support 24/7
Our customer support works around the clock to provide students with assistance or guidance at any time of the day. Students can always communicate with us through our live chat system or our email and receive instant responses. Feel free to contact us via the Chat window or support email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Our Homework Writing Services
My Homework Writers holds a reputation for being a platform that provides high-quality homework writing services. All you need to do is provide us with all the necessary requirements of the paper and wait for quality results.
At My Homework Writers, we have highly qualified academic gurus who will offer great assistance towards completing your essays. Our homework writing service providers are well-versed with all the aspects of developing high-quality and relevant essays.
Admission and Business Papers
With Myhomeworkwriters.com, we will help you secure a position at your desired institution. Our essay writing services include the crafting of admissions papers. We will still help you climb your career ladder by helping you write the official papers that will help you secure a job. We will guide you on how to write an outstanding portfolio or resume.
Editing and Proofreading
Myhomeworkwriters.com has a professional editorial team that will help you organize your paper, paraphrase it, and eliminate any possible mistakes. Also, we will help you check on plagiarism to ensure that your final paper posses quality and originality.
My Homework Writers harbors professional academic writers from diverse academic disciplines. As such, we can develop homework writing services in all academic areas. The simplicity or complexity of the paper does not affect the quality of homework writing services.