Counseling Children and Adolescents Assignments | Online Homework Help
Week 1 6446 Counseling Children and Adolescents
You must use the Readings
· Carr, A. (2016). Family therapy for adolescents: A research-informed perspective. Australian and New Zealand journal of family therapy, 37(4), 467-479.
· Clark, C. (2013). Irreducibly human encounters: Therapeutic alliance and treatment outcome in child and adolescent psychotherapy. Journal of Infant, Child and Adolescent Psychotherapy, 12, 228-243.
· Fitzpatrick, M. R., & Irannejad, S. (2008). Adolescent readiness for change and the working alliance in counseling. Journal of Counseling & Development, 86(4), 438–445.
· Boyatzis, C. J., & Junn, E. N. (2016). Annual Editions: Child growth and development (22nd ed.). McGraw-Hill Education.
o Shulevitz, J., “ Why Fathers Really Matter” (p. 87) o Rosin, H. “The Overprotected Kid” (p. 91)
· Center for Disease Control and Prevention. (n.d.). Milestone checklists. Retrieved from https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/actearly/pdf/checklists/Checklists- with-Tips_Reader_508.pdf
· Center on the Developing Child. (n.d.) Three core concepts in early development. Retrieved from https://developingchild.harvard.edu/resources/three-core- concepts-in-early-development/
· Center on the Developing Child (2007). The science of early childhood development (InBrief). https://developingchild.harvard.edu/resources/inbrief-science-of- ecd/
· Mercer, J. (2017). Evidence of potentially harmful psychological treatments for children and adolescents. Journal of Child and Adolescent Social Work, 34(2), 107–125.
· NASW (2003). NASW Standards for the Practice of Social Work with Adolescents. Retrieved
from https://www.socialworkers.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=rU t4ybE_GW4%3D&portalid=0
Assignment: Therapeutic Techniques With Children and Adolescents
Therapeutic interventions used with children and adolescents are sometimes different from therapeutic approaches used with adults. Usually, adults can engage in an open dialogue about the issues that bring them into counseling. Children and adolescents, however, may be less likely to speak openly or less directly about their issues, so counselors must consider using therapeutic techniques that are more appropriate for that developmental stage.
For this assignment, review the media program Introduction to Child and Adolescent Counseling: Getting Started. Consider the developmental stages of the child and adolescent in the media program and any concerns from a family systems theory perspective. Also, conduct an Internet search or a Walden Library search for at least one peer-reviewed journal article that presents a family systems theory and another peer-reviewed journal article that relates to the use of art therapy with children and adolescents.
The Assignment (2–3 pages):
· Identify the behaviors that the child or adolescent is demonstrating that may be a concern to the counselor in the media.
· Identify two techniques that the counselor used with the child and explain why these techniques were appropriate for the developmental stage.
· Identify two techniques that the counselor used with the adolescent and explain why these techniques were appropriate for the developmental stage.
· Explain any concerns (including any ethical issues) from a family systems theory perspective of how you might as a clinician choose an intervention as appropriate for the family.
· Justify your explanations with evidence-based research.
Support your Assignment with specific references to all resources used in its preparation. You are asked to provide a reference list for all resources, including those in the week’s resources for this course.