Constitutional law and public policy analysis db3
Click on the following link(s) for the Week 3 Reading Assignment:
Primary Task Response: Within the Discussion Board area, write 400 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas.
There has been a large amount of public debate regarding many of the provisions of the USA Patriot Act as they relate to civil liberties. Using the course materials, the library, and the Internet, research the USA Patriot Act as it relates to civil liberties. Utilizing the information, please answer the following questions, and respond to at least 3 of your classmates’ posts on this topic as well. You are encouraged to return to this Discussion Board often, because this is a subject that many feel very strongly about. Regardless of your personal feelings one way or the other on these questions, please maintain a professional and cordial tone in your initial post, and more importantly, in your responses to your classmates.
- How important is maintaining people’s right to privacy in the fight against terrorism? Provide support for your answer.
- Should people compromise their civil liberties to improve their chances in the fight against extremists? Provide support for your answer.
- What civil liberties, if any, are you willing to give up to ensure a safer United States? Provide support for your answer.
- Where should government draw the line on issues such as privacy and other individuals’ freedoms? Provide support for your answer.
- Are there any rights that are so sacred that they should never be infringed upon? If so, what are they? Provide support for your answer.