Case Study 7 Assignments | Online Homework Help
Case Study, Chapter 7, Overview of Transcultural Nursing
1. Mrs Perez, 32 years of age, is a Hispanic patient who is admitted for early-stage cancer of the uterus. The surgeon stated that in order to treat Mrs Perez’s cancer successfully, the uterus will need to be removed surgically through a procedure called a simple hysterectomy leaving the ovaries, fallopian tubes, and vagina. The surgeon requests that the nurse make arrangements for an interpreter, so they can both use the interpreter’s services. The patient only speaks Spanish, but her mother and one of the patient’s sisters are bilingual. They are currently visiting the patient. Her husband is also visiting and he only speaks Spanish. The patient’s two children are with her sister Maria. The family stated they are devout Catholics and request to see a priest while in the hospital. Today is Ash Wednesday.
- Which interpreter is the most appropriate choice to communicate with Mrs Perez and why?
- After critically analyzing the cultural influences, what nursing actions are appropriate for the patient?
2. The nurse manager of an ambulatory care clinic has noted an increased number of visits by patients from different countries and cultures, including patients from Mexico and other Latin American countries. Concerned about meeting the needs of this culturally diverse population, the nurse manager convenes a staff meeting to discuss this change in patient demographics, and to query the staff about any learning needs they have related to the care of these patients.
- What strategy to avoid stereotyping clients from other cultures should the nurse include in this meeting?
- Identify culturally sensitive issues to be discussed in the staff meeting.
- One technician on the staff complains that some patients never make eye contact, and this makes it difficult for him to complete his work. How should the nurse respond?