Case Study 19: Foodborne Illness
Erin C. is a 27-year-old professional woman who describes a recent bout of “the 24-hour flu” she experienced after eating out with friends over the weekend. She reports feeling an upset stomach at work on Monday with an increase in symptoms that developed into severe abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting, and some bloody diarrhea, continuing into the evening. She called her doctor the next morning and reported what she had eaten the day before she developed symptoms: 2 glasses of wine, broiled rare steak with mushroom sauce, baked potato with sour cream and butter, and an assorted greens salad with oil and vinegar dressing from the salad bar where she was dining with friends. Earlier on that same day, she had eaten leftovers from her refrigerator—a small pork chop, spinach salad, and a glass of milk from a local organic dairy.
1. Based on information in Table 19-1, which of Erin’s symptoms would cause you to suspect that she had a food-borne illness rather than the flu?
2. What foods that Erin ingested are frequent sources of food-borne illness?
3. Based on the information in this chapter, what questions would help you identify the likely cause of Erin’s food-borne illness?
4. Besides calling her doctor for persistent symptoms, what dietary measures are important for Erin’s recovery?
5. Knowing that she prefers to eat rare-cooked meat, what precautionary advice could you offer Erin in reference to Figure 19-4?
6. Based on this experience, suggest one practical action from each of the four simple rules outlined in the “How To” section on page 628 that may protect Erin from food-borne illness in the future.
Case Study 20: Food for a Low-Income Family
Sarah is a 30-year-old mother of two young children, ages 3 and 5. Her husband was recently disabled in a car accident and has been unable to work for 6 months. Sarah works part-time in her children’s preschool and her husband receives a monthly check for his disability. Medical expenses have wiped out the family’s savings and monthly expenses often exceed the couple’s income. Sarah tells her close friend that she is unable to provide balanced meals for her family because she often runs out of foods such as milk and fresh produce before payday. Her children receive a healthy lunch and snack at preschool and a couple of times in the past month Sarah and her husband have had to skimp on their meals at home to make sure the children were fed adequately. Sarah is worried that their limited resources may be affecting the nutritional health of her family.
1. Based on this family’s history, how would you classify their food insecurity according to Table 20-1?
2. Using the “How To” ideas on page 663, what are at least 3 practical suggestions that would help Sarah provide nutritious meals to her family at the lowest cost?
3. What programs mentioned in this chapter might this family be eligible for that could help improve their access to nutritious food?
4. Sarah’s church keeps an emergency food pantry for people in their community. List some low-cost non-perishable food suggestions that would provide maximum nutritional benefit to this family.
5. Sarah has recently qualified for the SNAP program. What nutrient-dense foods might she buy that would help stretch her food dollar and improve the overall quality of her family’s diet?
6. Plan a one-day menu with 3 meals and 1 snack for this family that incorporates your ideas from the previous questions.
Why Choose Us
At Myhomeworkwriters.com, we always aim at 100% customer satisfaction. As such, we never compromise o the quality of our homework services. Our homework helpers ensure that they craft each paper carefully to match the requirements of the instruction form.
Professional Academic Writers
With Myhomeworkwriters.com, every student is guaranteed high-quality, professionally written papers. We ensure that we hire individuals with high academic qualifications who can maintain our quality policy. These writers undergo further training to sharpen their writing skills, making them more competent in writing academic papers.
Our company maintains a fair pricing system for all academic writing services to ensure affordability. Our pricing system generates quotations based on the properties of individual papers.
My Homework Writers guarantees all students of swift delivery of papers. We understand that time is an essential factor in the academic world. Therefore, we ensure that we deliver the paper on or before the agreed date to give students ample time for reviewing.
Myhomeworkwriters.com maintains a zero-plagiarism policy in all papers. As such, My Homework Writers professional academic writers ensure that they use the students’ instructions to deliver plagiarism-free papers. We are very keen on avoiding any chance of similarities with previous papers.
Customer Support 24/7
Our customer support works around the clock to provide students with assistance or guidance at any time of the day. Students can always communicate with us through our live chat system or our email and receive instant responses. Feel free to contact us via the Chat window or support email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Our writers complete papers strictly according to your instructions and needs, no matter what university, college, or high school you study in.
Our Homework Writing Services
My Homework Writers holds a reputation for being a platform that provides high-quality homework writing services. All you need to do is provide us with all the necessary requirements of the paper and wait for quality results.
At My Homework Writers, we have highly qualified academic gurus who will offer great assistance towards completing your essays. Our homework writing service providers are well-versed with all the aspects of developing high-quality and relevant essays.
Admission and Business Papers
With Myhomeworkwriters.com, we will help you secure a position at your desired institution. Our essay writing services include the crafting of admissions papers. We will still help you climb your career ladder by helping you write the official papers that will help you secure a job. We will guide you on how to write an outstanding portfolio or resume.
Editing and Proofreading
Myhomeworkwriters.com has a professional editorial team that will help you organize your paper, paraphrase it, and eliminate any possible mistakes. Also, we will help you check on plagiarism to ensure that your final paper posses quality and originality.
My Homework Writers harbors professional academic writers from diverse academic disciplines. As such, we can develop homework writing services in all academic areas. The simplicity or complexity of the paper does not affect the quality of homework writing services.