How to Write the Best Essay Introduction in 2022
A good essay introduction outlines your argument and gives the reader an idea of what the paper will cover. It provides the primary background information on the problem you’re addressing and the essay’s focal point (thesis statement). With expert help, you can craft a catchy and informative introduction. At My Homework Writers, we guide you on how to structure an excellent introduction from the start to the end.
Here is everything you need to know about writing the best essay introduction:
Steps on How to Write an Introduction Paragraph
To come up with the best essay introduction, use the following simple steps:
- Hook the reader
- Give background information on the topic
- Connect the reader to the ideas of the paper
- Write a thesis statement
- Outline Your Essas supporting points
1. Hook the Reader
Starting sentences for essays must have a hook to create the tone for the entire paper. The opening statement grabs the reader’s attention, encouraging them to read through your content.
The hook should be concise, clear, and enjoyable to spark the readers’ curiosity. Below are different ways to start an essay introduction with a hook:
- Use Surprising Facts. An excellent and unique statement keeps the reader hooked on your essay. They continue reading to find more explanations and context about the facts. Avoid obvious facts as they are known to most people.
- Pose Relevant Questions. Rhetorical questions relevant to the topic engage the reader. They invite them to be active in your work, enabling them to continue reading.
- Hook Reader’s Emotions. Use statements that trigger the emotions of the readers. They should be relatable to the topic. For example, individuals tend to be inclined to what others go through and the measures they adopt to overcome.
- Use a Unique Quote. Use relevant and interesting quotes from renowned authors. This shows the reader that you are well-informed and can relate to other authors’ ideologies.
When writing a hook, you should avoid the following:
- Dictionary definitions
2. Give Background Information on the Topic
The best essay introduction should also give brief background information on the topic to be discussed in your essay. Background details help the reader to understand the context of your paper’s argument. This information is based on:
- Summary of the relevant theories relating to the paper
- Definition of hard-to-understand terms
- Social, historical, and geographical context
The information you provide should relate to the problem, issues, or questions linked to the topic of the essay. It should be brief, direct, and easy to understand. Avoid using generalized data such as, “Pandemics have always existed since….”
3. Connect the Reader to the Ideas of the Paper
Mention the main ideas of your paper to help the reader understand the direction of your argument. Answer the following questions to capture all the aspects of the essay:
These questions help you draw the reader from the general scope of the topic to specific claims. This gradual change quickly attracts the audience to the general body of the paper.
4. Write a Thesis Statement
The thesis statement helps you state your position on the topic. It consists of your main arguments of the paper narrowed into one or two sentences.
A good thesis statement consists of a claim that requires explanation and evidence. This provides the basis on which you structure the body paragraphs to respond to the problem of the essay.
To craft an excellent thesis statement, make sure it’s concise, focused, and accurate. You can achieve this by writing a summary from which your paper is centered.
5. Outline Your Essays Supporting Points
This section is majorly applicable if you’re writing an extended essay. It entails providing the primary points you will use to support your claims. This helps you write the areas to be covered throughout your paper.
How Long Should an Introduction Be
The length of your introduction depends on the word count of the paper. The rule of thumb is that the introduction should be 10% of the total word count. This helps you provide a concise and direct opening clause for the essay.
When writing short papers like 5 pages, the introduction perfectly fits in a single paragraph. For longer essays, like 20 pages, write the introduction in multiple paragraphs. This helps you include all the elements of a good introduction.
Tips for Writing the Best Essay Introduction
Consider the following dos and don’ts to craft a top-notch introduction:
- Your introduction is in line with the purpose of your paper
- Use points that are easy to understand
- State your stand
- Keep the introduction engaging
- Write sentences with a smooth and logical flow
What to Avoid
- Using many quotes
- Including irrelevant context
- Writing a very long introduction
- Basing the introduction only on the background information of the topic
Introduction Structures for Essays
Although the best essay introductions follow the same structure, the content you write differs depending on the type of essay. Below are the introduction approaches for different essays:
- Persuasive Essays. You can write the hook from any approach, such as a fun fact. The thesis statement should comprise a summary of the main persuasion points in your essay.
- Narrative Essays. The hook for narrative papers should be the intriguing part of the story. The claim is based on the story’s moments that affect the story’s outcome, while the thesis is the main lesson of the narrative.
- Personal Essays. You can use a joke, quote, story, or question as the hook for your narrative essay. Follow it with a brief overview of your personal story and a statement outlining the experiences that affected you.
Write the Best Essay Introduction Now!
Do you have an essay assignment but are wondering how to write an engaging introduction? We are the best assignment help website on the block. Our team of experienced writers at My Homework Writers will get you started. We guide you through each step of writing the introduction. From pitching a catchy hook and writing an overview of your paper to structuring a thesis statement, our writers are there for you. We help you focus on other pressing matters as we write quality essays for you. Contact us to get started.