How to title a persuasive essay
A title is the first part the reader sees. It can either capture or drift the reader’s attention. When you title a persuasive essay, ensure it intrigues your reader. An interesting title makes your reader want to read more. It creates a platform for convincing the reader. By following the guidelines in this article, you will know how to title a persuasive essay.
What are the qualities of a good essay title
Before writing the title, you have to know the characteristics of a good title. They assist in choosing the best title. Below are some characteristics of a good title:
Eye-catching– This is where you select an attractive title. In most cases, the reader is driven by interesting titles.
Believable-Create titles that are realistic. You may create an attractive title and end up with an untrue title.
Easy to read-Do not include strange phrases, uncommon fonts, or complicated words in your title. This will drift your reader’s attention.
Active voice-Ensure your verbs are in an active voice rather than passive voice. For example, ‘People love food’ This is an active voice while `Food is loved by people` is in the passive voice.
Brief-Make your title short. Long titles confuse the reader and demonstrate poor writing skills.
Accurate-Ensure your titles are straight to the point. Your readers should have a clear idea of what they are going to read in the essay. Inaccurate titles mislead the reader. They can lower the quality of your essay.
What are the components of an essay title?
A persuasive essay has its formula when writing a title. Below are main components of your essay title:
A catchy hook-It brings out the creativity in the title.
Topic keywords– They highlight the main points you will be addressing. It answers the question ‘what’ of your essay.
Focus keywords-They answer the question ‘where/when’ of your essay.
Steps on how to title a persuasive essay
With the knowledge of the qualities and components of a good title, you can now learn how to create essay titles. Here are ways on how to come up with a title for a persuasive essay;
1. Write the essay first, title last
Writing your paper first will give you an idea of what to use as the title. As you write, come up with a title that interests the reader. It may seem reasonable to begin with the title then write your essay, but doing the contrary can be helpful. Creating the title last helps you save time. You won’t spend hours figuring out the title of the essay.
2. Use your theory
A title makes or breaks your persuasive essay. Good titles give the reader a reason to continue reading your essay. Your title should be based on your thesis statement. This is another reason why the title should be written last. Your thesis statement supports your title. It enables you to pick keywords you can use as the title.
3. Use common phrases and sayings
Use of popular phrases and sayings makes the titles interesting. These phrases amuse and draw the attention of the reader. Apart from common phrases, you can go for popular sayings. For example, ‘Absence makes the heart grow fonder.’
4. Take note of the tone of your essay
The tone you use affects how the reader receives your message. In a persuasive essay, the topic determines the tone you will use. When writing a serious article, don’t be stupid or witty. You can be silly and witty if your essay is a personal statement. Ensure the tone matches your title and avoid using abbreviations.
5. Use quotes or central ideas
Your title can be featured in a book or part of a song. This is an important rule when selecting essay titles. The only option available is to pick the title from a quote in a book or some words in a song.
6. Sum up your essay in three words
This is a useful method when you want to know how to title a persuasive essay. Combine the whole essay or a theory statement in three words. Use the three words to come up with the title.
Examples of essay titles
You should aim at persuading your readers. A good title should be meaningful and catchy. Look for a creative hook that captivates your reader. Here are some examples of how to title an essay;
Examples of how to title an argumentative essay
An argumentative essay uses proof, facts, and evidence to support its theory. Here are examples of argumentative essays
- Is society responsible for fighting Anorexia?
- Every country needs to implement the death sentence
- Are the International students benefiting from the US education system?
- Is Africa the most corrupt continent in the world?
- Is politics a dirty game?
- Does alcohol damage the liver?
- What is the most convenient age to vote?
- Is French the easiest language to learn?
- Do steroids destroy your liver?
- Should pregnant students go to school?
- Religious organizations must pay taxes
- Should campus students wear school uniforms?
- Do GMO foods harm people?
- Should pastors pay taxes?
- Are sex workers allowed to go to church?
- Should the drinking age be above 18?
- Bhang should be legalized
- Gun ownership is illegal
- Should prostitution be legalized?
- Students should be allowed to carry their phones.
Examples of how to title a persuasive essay
A persuasive essay is an essay that uses logic and reasoning to show how legitimate your idea is. Below are some examples of titles used in a persuasive essay;
- The government should offer free secondary education
- Nuclear weapons should be banned in every country
- Every African should speak French
- We need a health draft on nurses
- The age for drinking should be lowered to 16
- Cats make better pets than dogs
- Children should be given less homework
- Too much alcohol is a bad thing
- We should discipline our kids
- High schools should offer carpentry as a subject
- Sex education should be taught in schools
- Should college students clear their fees before sitting for the exam?
- Should people above 30 be allowed to adopt children?
- Should the government do away with student loans?
- Can music be an effective way of dealing with depression?
How to title a persuasive essay can be challenging. You may read an essay front to back and still a title does not crop up. You should instead be creative to win the reader’s attention. Make sure your title is exclusive and is not over the top.
If you face any challenge when titling an essay, feel free to reach us