I need help with my Biology assignment: mul
1. One condition that seems to lead to senescence and not apoptosis in stem cells is
a. shortening of telomeres below a critical limit
b. base damage to DNA
c. unequal division of chromosomes at anaphase
d. none of the above
2. Knowing that even in the oldest people’s stem cells seem to have many cell divisions left to them when cultured in vitro (in a dish), the you might contend that a possible reason for that was
a. Absence of inhibitory factors found in the old bodies in the new culture medium
b. factors in the cellular environment of old people’s bodies
c. The presence of high levels of growth factors in the culture serum
d. All of the above
3. In 1962, Leonard Hayflick conducted an experiment that supported Weismann’s Theory of programmed death. He proposed The Hayflick Limit which can be reached faster by:
a. Increasing the rate of cell division
b. Underfeeding cells
c. Decreasing the rate of mutations
d. Synthetically elongating telomeres.
4. The antagonistic pleiotropy theory of aging assumes that each gene has only one effect on the phenotype of an organism at different stages of its life. True or False
5. In Conboy’s study on heterochronic parabiotic pairs, which phrase described what future studies should focus on according to the results of this study?
a. adult stem cells
b. changes in aging cells
c. muscle cell regeneration
d. changes in aging plasma
6. Briefly explain what happened to old stem and progenitor cells in a young systemic environment.
7. Which substance is the most common in cells?
b. salts and minerals
8. Describe how an enzyme may change the transcription patterns of a cell by adding chemical groups to histone proteins. What is this called?
9. Acetyl L-Carnitine/Alpha lipoic acid are ____________ that are produced naturally by the body in _______
a. Amino acids, large amounts
b. Antioxidants, small amounts
c. Toxins, abundance
d. ROS, trace amounts
10. Most genes that determine lifespan in C. elegans are directly in DNA repair. True or False
11. What is the preferable study group in mammalian testing of aging interventions Mice or monkeys? Why?
12. If you were to run a retirement community what would you do to improve the health/lives of the people who depend on you?
13. The ____________ ____________ theory , states that there exists a biological clock and a time dependent plan or program that directs a limitation to a lifespan?
a. DNA damage
b. Evolveabity Theory
d. free radical
14. Unlike inorganic objects like rocks or even computers (at present) , living organisms can repair damage or rebuild or even recycle damages at the sub-cellular level. Give three
instances cellular systems involved in repairing cellular damages.
15. . An often given example of antagonistic pleiotropy, and seems to fit the definition is
A. Cellular senescence
C. Cellular reproduction
D. None of the above
16. In general stem cells ability to reproduce (proliferate) declines with age? True or False
17. Studies using micro arrays have the benefit that
a. they are automated
b. they are quantitative
c. they examine thousands of genes simultaneously
d. they do everything on the lines above
18. Studies of transcription patterns across an animal’s lifetime only make sense if
a. the animals were born at the same time
b. the rates of transcription are identical
c. the same tissues are examined each time
d. protein synthesis mirrors transcription
19. What are the effects of senescent cells on the aging body, why don’t they have the same effects in young bodies?
20.The experiments in heterochronic (cross-age) transplantation showed that
a. younger stem cell populations flourished when transplanted into old recipients
b. stem cells derived from older donors proliferated faster than young stem cells in a young animal
c. the age of the recipient was more important than the age of the donor in a cross-age transplantation experiment
d. none of the above
21. What was surprising in the results of the longitudinal studies of Chambers et al. (and earlier Rossi et al) in which microarray analysis of hematopoietic stem cells revealed that might
make some people doubt that living systems strive for homeostasis ?
22. What do the studies of such progerias as Huntington-Gilford progeria and Werner’s syndrome tell us about normal aging? Explain
23. Here are three quotes from an printed interview with Francis Collins (look him up),
i. ” Collin’s lab team found that in cells growing in the lab, when they used a chemical to un-cap the chromosome ends, it altered gene splicing and led to progerin production and
ii. “It’s clear that progerin turns on as a cell is approaching senescence,” Collins said.
Collin’s lab team found that in cells growing in the lab, when they used a chemical to un-cap the chromosome ends, it altered gene splicing and led to progerin production and cellular
iii. “While I can’t prove it, it seems likely that progerin itself is part of normal, programmed senescence,” Collins said. “If we understood that, maybe we would be able to come up with
a strategy to deal with the process of normal aging.”
a) We’ve heard that before, that gene splicing alters with age – what does that mean?
b) According to statement ii, they were comparing artificially made senescent cells to the cells of people with what condition?
c) When stating that progerin production is part of normal aging, what theory of aging is he implicitly endorsing?n Why?
24. Describe what you feel are the major ’causes’ of aging – and how that fits into what you think is the correct theory of aging.
25. Where would you direct efforts in aging research?
Why Choose Us
At Myhomeworkwriters.com, we always aim at 100% customer satisfaction. As such, we never compromise o the quality of our homework services. Our homework helpers ensure that they craft each paper carefully to match the requirements of the instruction form.
Professional Academic Writers
With Myhomeworkwriters.com, every student is guaranteed high-quality, professionally written papers. We ensure that we hire individuals with high academic qualifications who can maintain our quality policy. These writers undergo further training to sharpen their writing skills, making them more competent in writing academic papers.
Our company maintains a fair pricing system for all academic writing services to ensure affordability. Our pricing system generates quotations based on the properties of individual papers.
My Homework Writers guarantees all students of swift delivery of papers. We understand that time is an essential factor in the academic world. Therefore, we ensure that we deliver the paper on or before the agreed date to give students ample time for reviewing.
Myhomeworkwriters.com maintains a zero-plagiarism policy in all papers. As such, My Homework Writers professional academic writers ensure that they use the students’ instructions to deliver plagiarism-free papers. We are very keen on avoiding any chance of similarities with previous papers.
Customer Support 24/7
Our customer support works around the clock to provide students with assistance or guidance at any time of the day. Students can always communicate with us through our live chat system or our email and receive instant responses. Feel free to contact us via the Chat window or support email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Our Homework Writing Services
My Homework Writers holds a reputation for being a platform that provides high-quality homework writing services. All you need to do is provide us with all the necessary requirements of the paper and wait for quality results.
At My Homework Writers, we have highly qualified academic gurus who will offer great assistance towards completing your essays. Our homework writing service providers are well-versed with all the aspects of developing high-quality and relevant essays.
Admission and Business Papers
With Myhomeworkwriters.com, we will help you secure a position at your desired institution. Our essay writing services include the crafting of admissions papers. We will still help you climb your career ladder by helping you write the official papers that will help you secure a job. We will guide you on how to write an outstanding portfolio or resume.
Editing and Proofreading
Myhomeworkwriters.com has a professional editorial team that will help you organize your paper, paraphrase it, and eliminate any possible mistakes. Also, we will help you check on plagiarism to ensure that your final paper posses quality and originality.
My Homework Writers harbors professional academic writers from diverse academic disciplines. As such, we can develop homework writing services in all academic areas. The simplicity or complexity of the paper does not affect the quality of homework writing services.