Assignment 3: juvenile probation | Law homework help
In many ways, juvenile probation is similar to adult probation. Both types of probation involve sanctions imposed by the court, necessitating close supervision of the offender, coupled with the looming threat of a more severe punishment, typically incarceration, if the offender fails to comply with the conditions stipulated in his or her probation.
Given the inherent complexity of working with juveniles, juvenile probation includes components, rules, and processes not found in adult probation. For example, probation officers must take into account factors such as school and parental wishes while determining how a particular case should be handled. These factors are not taken into consideration in adult probation. Also, juvenile probation officers must contend with and account for the inclusion of status offenses, which can be more difficult to track and monitor.
Prepare a 3- to 5-page report on your local juvenile probation department. In your report:
- Describe the types of juvenile cases that your local juvenile probation department has taken care of in the past.
- Locate and comment on the following:
- The department’s mission and vision statement
- Whether the juvenile department is located with the adult probation department and community corrections
- The number of services aimed toward juveniles
- The statistics that demonstrate the department’s effectiveness
- State the overall assessment of your local juvenile probation department. Explain based on your research whether you think the department is run well. Does the department meet the needs of local youth? Support your answer with evidence.
- Save the report as M1_A3_Lastname_Firstname.doc.
- By Wednesday, April 27, 2016, submit your report to the M1: Assignment 3 Dropbox.
|Assignment 3 Grading Criteria||Maximum Points|
|Analyzed and described the juvenile cases undertaken by the local juvenile probation department.||
|Analyzed and described the mission of the juvenile probation department, its relation with adult probation and community correction, the services it offers, and the effectiveness demonstrated by statistics.||
|Summarized the overall assessment of the local juvenile probation department and its effectiveness in addressing the juvenile issues.||
|Wrote in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrated ethical scholarship in the accurate representation and attribution of sources; and used accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.||