Assignment 1: be an anthropologist essay
The primary goal of this exercise is for the student to further examine evolution from the perspective of two subfields in anthropology. The all-encompassing nature of evolution will be illustrated, and students will have the opportunity to explore the holistic nature of anthropology.
Anthropologists study many different aspects of humanity in order to fully understand the diversity of the human species. One of these aspects concerns our development as a species, both physically and culturally. For the assignment, the student will first discuss and investigate evolution as viewed by physical anthropology, and then the student will investigate and discuss evolution from one other subfield – cultural, linguistic, or archaeological.
In a 3-5 page written assignment, answer the following questions.
1) Discuss what evolution is in terms of physical anthropology.
2) Define evolution (using textbook and/or lecture notes)
3) Discuss what a physical anthropologist may examine/investigate in order to study evolution (e.g. population DNA) and why it is helpful for studying evolution.
4) Find at least one outside source related to your answer for Q2 and Q3 (e.g. the genome project for DNA). Conduct original research, do not use the genome project because that example is given in class.
5) Briefly describe the source you discuss in Q4 and how is it helpful for examining/investigating evolution.
6) Choose a second subfield of anthropology (cultural, linguistic, or archaeology).
7) Discuss how an anthropologist in this second subfield would study evolution.
a. Remember, evolution can apply to both physical and societal changes, so things like language and customs can evolve just as much as bodies and brains can.
8) Discuss what an anthropologist from your chosen subfield may examine/investigate in order to study evolution (e.g. an archaeologist may look at how tools have changed through time, and what has caused that change) and why it is helpful for studying evolution.
9) Find at least one outside source related to your answer for Q7 and Q8. Conduct original research, do not use tool evolution because that example is given in class.
10) Briefly describe the source that you describe in Q9 and how is it helpful for examining/investigating evolution.
11) Discuss how the study of evolution between physical anthropology and your chosen subfield compare and contrast.
12) Conclude by discussing one new piece of information you learned about evolution.
13) Be sure to write your assignment using the writing expectations (see below) and submit your assignment both in the classroom and to Turnitin.com.
Originality of attachments will be verified by Turnitin. Both you and your instructor will receive the results.
All written submissions should be submitted using APA formatting. In part, this includes:
- Typewritten in double-spaced format with a readable style and font and submitted inside the electronic classroom.
- Arial 11 or 12-point font or Times New Roman styles.
- Page margins Top, Bottom, Left Side and Right Side = 1 inch, with reasonable accommodation being made for special situations and online submission variances.
- Save as .doc, .rtf, or .pdf in the format: lastname_ANTH100_HW1