Application: mutual impact | History homework help
Application: Mutual Impact
“Oh, East is East and West is West and never the twain shall meet.” The first line to Rudyard Kipling’s famous poem “The Ballad of East and West,” written in the late 1800s spoke to the cultural gap between Asia and the West during the past century. Upon reflection, now more than 100 years later, one might say that the two have met on many levels, and have made a mutual imprint on one another.
Asia, once dominated by Europe and the United States during the Era of Imperialism, has emerged as a major player on the world’s stage in its flourishing culture, its embrace of technological innovation, and its seat at the table of major global governing bodies. Many Asian nations have taken the best of the West, applying European, Western, and Russian thought to their political and social systems, while maintaining their unique cultures and traditions. More and more, Europe, the West, and Asia have a chance to come together to offer different perspectives to solving world problems.
In this week’s Application you will focus on the mutual impact of language, culture, and technology of Europe and the West, with that of Asia, in the early 20th century and present day.
To prepare for this Application:
- Review Chapter 6 (99. 70–94) in this week’s Learning Resources to better understand what aspects of language, culture, and technology Europe and the West brought to Asia during the rise of imperialism. Review the articles by Fitzpatrick, Mahbubani, Mumford, Nye, and Owen, and the article from The Straits Times Web site in this week’s Learning Resources to gain perspective on the mutual impacts of modern day culture and technology in Asia.
- Find current examples of the mutual impact of East and West in online newspapers with international coverage, such as the Washington Post, New York Times, or the International Herald Tribune. What are some examples of East meets West?
- Consider the cultural differences between the East and the West. What influence has Western domination had on Asian nations? Do you notice similarities as well as differences?
- Examine the role of Asian technological products in your daily life. Do you or anyone you know depend on them? How did you make your decision to buy the product? Are there any Asian technological products on your wish list?
- Reflect on the impact that colonization has had on Asia and the current interconnectedness of East and West. Compare past connections to present day connections.
- Compose a 2- to 4-page essay in which you do the following:
- Analyze and compare the mutual impact of culture and technology of Europe and the West, with that of Asia in the early 20th century and present day.
- Support your assertions by making at least 2 references, in proper APA format, to your course readings.