Application: fostering early literacy development: goals and
Throughout this course, you will develop your understanding of the foundations of early literacy learning and the skills, knowledge, experiences, and attitudes that support young children’s early literacy development. Before you begin the Week 1 Application, review the outline below for an overview of Application assignments in the weeks ahead. However, do not work ahead. It is necessary to complete the readings and other course content each week before beginning each Application.
- Week 1: Fostering Early Literacy Development: Goals and Intentions. You will review early literacy standards and other resources in order to inform your statement of intent that will guide your work in fostering young children’s literacy development.
- Week 2: Creating a Handout to Foster English-Language Learners’ Oral Language and Early Literacy Development. You will create a handout focused on helping early childhood professionals support English-Language Learners oral language and early literacy development.
- Week 3: Observing Early Literacy Learning. You will observe in a preschool setting in order to expand your awareness and understanding of how the physical environment and learning activities can support early literacy development.
- Week 4: Building a Preschool Classroom Library. You will visit a library or bookstore for the purpose of evaluating fiction and nonfiction books you recommend to include in preschool classroom library.
- Week 5: Creating a Family Literacy Newsletter. You will write a one-page newsletter to help family members support young children’s early literacy development at home.
Week 1: Fostering Early Literacy Development: Goals and Intentions
As you have learned, professional standards and developmentally appropriate practice emphasize the importance of early literacy to a child’s future well-being and support early childhood professionals with specific guidance for early literacy learning. For this Application, you will use early literacy standards from the course texts, as well as other resources, to inform a statement of your goals and intentions in fostering young children’s early literacy development.
To complete this Application, do the following:
Step 1: Review and Reflect
- Chapter 1 of Helping Young Children Learn Language and Literacy Learning About Print in Preschool, and consider the interrelationship between language and literacy, the instructional approaches to teaching literacy and effective programs surrounding early literacy.
- As you review, be sure to take notes on ideas, insights, and perspectives that have particular meaning to you.
- Use your notes to develop a set of at least 5 professional goals that summarize your thinking and plans related to fostering the early literacy development of every young child and/or encouraging other professionals and families to do the same.
Step 2: Write
When you are ready, complete the following written assignment:
- Present your thoughts in the form of a “statement of intention” by beginning each goal with the phrase “I intend.”
- At the end of your statement, cite the resources you have used to develop your goals.
- Submit your Statement of Intention to complete the Application.
Assignment length: 2 pages