Application: Creating a Professional Handout on Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Learners’ Oral Language and Early Literacy Development
As you have learned, culturally and linguistically diverse students require special considerations to help expand their oral language and early literacy development.
For your Application this week, imagine that you are preparing to speak before a group of early childhood professionals who have little to no experience working with preschool-age culturally and linguistically diverse students. Ask yourself: How can I help my colleagues foster oral language and early literacy development as they work with these children and their families? You will create a handout that summarizes the key information you would include in your presentation.
To complete this Application, do the following:
Step 1: Choose and Develop Content
- Review chapter 3 from the Best Practices in Early Literacy Instruction course text for specific guidance on working with children from diverse backgrounds. Consider types of information these early childhood professionals need, such as how teachers support literacy development for young children from diverse backgrounds, activities and strategies that expand oral language and early literacy development, and the importance of respecting each child’s culture and home language.
- Choose the information to include. Decide how to organize it in easy-to-read formats, such as a steps, tips, and short paragraphs. Consider how to emphasize important points that you want to stand out.
- Think about how to explain each piece of information in your own words to other early childhood professionals. Write a draft of the content for your handout. Aim for a friendly yet professional tone.
- Cite the text and any other information you choose to use as sources.
Step 2: Create the Handout
Create the handout as a 1- to 2-page Word document. Review your written draft and revise as needed for a final version. An elaborate design is not required; instead, think of ways to make your handout inviting to read.
Step 3: Reflect
- Summarize insights you gained from this assignment that will help you better support the oral language and early literacy development of culturally and linguistically diverse learners with whom you now work or may work in the future.
- Submit your handout and your written Reflection to complete this Application.
Assignment length: 2–3 pages
Due in 12 hours or less
APA format and all orginal work
Please have it done in time
- Course Text: Barone, D., & Mallette, M. (2013). Best practices in early literacy instruction. New York: Guilford Press.
- Chapter 3, “Working with Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students,” pp. 42-56
- Chapter 11, “Best Practices in Oral Language Instruction,” pp. 191-205
Video: Laureate Education (Producer). (2009). Early literacy: Language and literacy development [Video file]. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu
Dr. Dorothy Strickland explains key influences on children’s oral language and how it impacts literacy development.
Note: The approximate length of this media piece is 22 minutes.