HED 320 Contemporary Sexuality, Fall 2018
Scientific Article Critique Rubric
A. Choosing the Article: 3 Points
1) Selected an article about a study of a biological or behavioral aspect of human sexuality. __/1 pt.
• Use a complete article, not just the abstract.
2) Identify the academic data base used to retrieve the article __/1 pt. i. (e.g. EBSCO host or PubMed)
3) Correct date; published after June 1, 2018 __/1 pt.
B. Mechanics: 3 Points
1) Critique length: 2 full pages, (no deduction for exceeding 2 pages) __/1 pt. (1.5 pages = ½ pt.)
2) 12 point, Times New Roman font, double-spaced __/1 pt.
3) Correct spelling and grammar (-1 point for 4 errors) __/1 pt.
C. Article Analysis – Number your sections from 1-10 to answer each question below. 13 Points 1) Summary of the article/study. (1 paragraph, about 4-5 sentences)
a) Define the main question/problem the author/s are studying in this article. __/1 pt. b) Briefly summarize their main FINDINGS and CONCLUSIONS. __/1 pt.
2) WHO performed and published the study? __/1 pt.
3) What type of publication is the article from? __/1 pt. Choose one type: peer-reviewed journal, academic journal, trade magazine, newspaper.
4) Explain how the type of publication affects the validity of the information. (1-2 sentences) __/1 pt.
5) Who is the intended audience of this article? __/1 pt.
6) Analysis of the methodology (answer all questions below in 1 paragraph): a) What was the sample size? __/½ pt. b) Who was included in the sample? (sex, race, gender, orientation, age, etc.) __/½ pt. c) Identify the methods used to gather the information in the study. __/1 pt.
o Examples: Case studies, survey (questionnaires or interviews) Direct observation, or experimental method.
d) Analyze the reliability of these methods. __/1 pt.
7) ANALYZE the author’s results and conclusion based on the data. __/1 pt.
8) Identify at least one critique, author’s bias or validity concerns in the results and __/1 pt. conclusion sections.
9) Based on your overall evaluation of the article, does this article provide valid __/1 pt. and quality scientific information about a biological
aspect of human sexuality? Why or why not? * this is your educated opinion.
10) What is the value of the article? What does it contribute to our understanding __/1 pt. of human sexuality?
IV. Legible copy of the article – 1 Point
• Print-out or photocopy of full article is attached __/1 pt. ________________________________________________________________________________________
Late Paper Points Deductions (-2 points = 10% per class meeting late):________
Total Points: ________/20
My Courses / H_ED032001-F18R / Essay #2 / FAQs for the Scientific Article Critique
H_ED 0320-01 Contemporary Sexuality Fall 2018
FAQs for the Scientific Article Critique
Scientific Article Critique
How should I select an article?
The best method is to look at the schedule in the syllabus to see which topic interests you the most. You can physically go to the school library, which subscribes to a lot of different magazines, and you can find an article and photocopy it. If you’re used to doing research online, you can go to the SFSU online databases, and search that way. The article must be dated and previously published in a paper format. You must select an article published after June 1, 2018
How do I search online at SFSU’s library databases?
You will need to sign in with your SFSU ID and your password: http://www.sfsu.edu/login.htm
SFSU’s library also has access to periodical databases – you can use any database that is applicable. Here are a few that will contain useful articles for this assignment:
PsycINFO *make sure you set publication date to after June 1, 2018 Proquest (academic journal articles) * Make sure you set the publication date filter to “last 3 months” EbscoHost * put in search word/s at the top and set the publication date to 2018. The newest article appear at the top of the list. Pubmed
** Be sure to save a copy of your article by cutting and pasting it into a Word doc. Bookmarking the link on these search websites may only save the article temporarily.
You are logged in as Fabian Medina (Log out) H_ED032001-F18R
Get the mobile app
What should the heading of my paper include?
Very simple: Your initials, your full SFSU ID #, HED 320, Fall 2018
Your Initials, SFSU ID#
HED 320, Fall 2018
Start your essay here – blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. ………………..
Last modified: Monday, October 1, 2018, 2:05 PM
San Francisco State University A California State University Campus
045 (3) Scientific Article Critique: due Thursday 10/18/2018 (15% of class grade)- click on this link for the rubric.
Log into SFSU’s library and use academic databases such as EBSCOhost or PubMed to select an article about a study of a biological or psycho-social aspect of sexuality published after June 1, 2018. Using the information presented in class about research and methodology, write a 2 full page critique. The paper should be 2 full pages in length, double-spaced, 12 point Times New Roman font, 1 inch margins all around.
FAQs for the Scientific Article Critique
Why Choose Us
At Myhomeworkwriters.com, we always aim at 100% customer satisfaction. As such, we never compromise the quality of our essay services. Our essay helpers ensure that they craft each paper carefully to match the requirements in the instruction form.
Professional Academic Writers
With Myhomeworkwriters.com, every student is guaranteed high-quality, professionally written papers. We ensure that we hire individuals with high academic qualifications who can maintain our quality policy. These writers undergo further training to sharpen their writing skills, making them more competent in writing academic papers.
Our company maintains a fair pricing system for all paper writing services to ensure affordability. Our pricing system generates quotations based on the properties of individual papers.
MyHomeworkWriters guarantees all students of swift delivery of papers. We understand that time is an essential factor in the academic world. Therefore, we ensure that we deliver the paper on or before the agreed date to give students ample time for reviewing.
Myhomeworkwriters.com maintains a zero-plagiarism policy. As such, MyHomeworkWriters ensure that they use the students’ instructions to deliver plagiarism-free papers. We are very keen on avoiding any chance of similarities with previous papers.
Customer Support 24/7
Our customer support works around the clock to provide students with assistance or guidance at any time of the day. Students can always communicate with us through our live chat system or our email and receive instant responses. Feel free to contact us via the Chat window or support email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Our writers complete papers strictly according to your instructions and needs, no matter what university, college, or high school you study in.
Our Essay Writing Services
MyHomeworkWriters holds a reputation for being a platform that provides high-quality academic services. All you need to do is provide us with all the necessary requirements and wait for quality results.
At MyHomeworkWriters, we have highly qualified academic gurus who will offer great assistance towards completing your essays. Our essay help service providers are well-versed with all the aspects of developing high-quality and relevant essays.
Admission and Business Papers
With Myhomeworkwriters.com, we will help you secure a position at your desired institution. Our essay writing services include the crafting of admissions papers. We will still help you climb your career ladder by helping you write the official papers that will help you secure a job. We will guide you on how to write an outstanding portfolio or resume.
Editing and Proofreading
Myhomeworkwriters.com has a professional editorial team that will help you organize your paper, paraphrase it, and eliminate any possible mistakes. Also, we will help you check on plagiarism to ensure that your final paper posses quality and originality.
My Homework Writers harbors professional academic writers from diverse academic disciplines. As such, we can develop essay help services in all academic areas. The simplicity or complexity of the paper does not affect the quality of essay writing services.