Deviance and Social Control
focuses on concept identification and application.
expected to examine the meanings of social class and stratification. expected to apply these concepts and theories to real life situation, and use the sociological theories to explain the concept of inequality on a global level. will examine types of crimes that are committed by the rich people and the poor people being arrested and tried.
Answer the following Essay Questions:
1. Describe the difference between wealth and income. Why is it sociologically important to make a distinction between the two?
2. How is the poverty rate determined in the United States and what is is the origin of this formula? What are the strengths and weaknesses of this formula?
3. Describe the difference between individual/household poverty and neighborhood poverty. How does being poor in a poor neighborhood increase the impact of economic disadvantage?
4. Why do many of the world’s poorest countries have the highest fertility rates? What sociological factors can be applied here to explain the correlation?
5. Define “global elite” and who is considered to be a part of this group. How do they differ from the upper class elites?
1. Cover all key elements of each essay question
2. Give enough information about the topic
3. apply the chapter concepts and theories to real-life situations
4. Seek out additional resources to gain a better insight of the topic
5. Bring in examples and experiences to illustrate the point
6. Cite at least two references per essay question
7. Acceptable length: write a minimum of 600 words per essay question