Current Events Analysis
The purpose of this assignment is to analyze current events through key sociological concepts (e.g., social class, family systems, gender roles, race, ethnicity, religion).
To complete this assignment, you will: (a) find an online article related to the topic of the week and important issues in our world today; (b) read the article and fill out the statements or answers questions in the attached worksheet, which is also available in Blackboard; and (c) include a link to the article or attach a copy.
Since this is a current events assignment you are to choose an article that is no more than a week old from the date the assignment is due.
You may only use articles from credible newspapers, magazines, or broadcast news media sources. Acceptable sources include the following:
• http://www.nytimes.com (New York Times – newspaper) • http://www.washingtontimes.com (Washington Times – newspaper)
• http://www.washingtonpost.com (Washington Post – newspaper)
• http://www.latimes.com (Los Angeles Times – newspaper)
• http://www.chicagotribune.com (Chicago Tribune – newspaper)
• http://www.msnbc.com (NBC – broadcast T.V. news) • http://www.cnn.com (CNN – cable T.V. news)
• http://www.usnews.com (U.S. News & World Report – magazine)
• http://www.foxnews.com (Fox – cable T.V. news)
• http://www.abcnews.go.com (ABC – broadcast T.V. news)
• http://www.cbsnews.com (CBS – broadcast T.V. news)
• http://online.wsj.com/home-page (Wall Street Journal-newspaper)
• http://www.time.com/time/ (Time Magazine)
• http://www.reuters.com/ (Reuters News Service)
• http://www.ap.org/ (Associated Press News Service)
• http://www.bloomberg.com/ (Bloomberg News Report)
• http://www.bbc.com (BBC – broadcast T.V. news) You may not use Social Media (e.g., Facebook, Twitter), Entertainment, Gossip, or Sports focused outlets. If you identify articles of interest posted in these types of outlets, you must go to the original sources. Current Events Analysis Your Name: Date: Type your responses in the spaces provided. Source of Article: Link to Article: Topic of Article: Title of Article: Date of Article: WHAT is this story about? WHEN did this story take place? WHERE is this event or issue occurring? (Specify city, country, region, etc.) WHY is this story important in our world today? How does the article connect to the week’s topic? Be specific and provide support from the text.