Strategic Management Plan
To determine whether you can evaluate a company’s internal and external environments and create a strategic plan.
• Each of you will pick a publicly traded company from the S&P Small Cap 600 to evaluate. You and
your professor will agree on the company before beginning because two students will not be assigned
the same company.
• All projects must be typed and double spaced and follow APA Style Guidelines (see OWL @ Purdue).
• The project must be in complete sentences and will be graded on grammar, spelling, and whether
your answers are clear and precise.
• Your grade will depend on the thoroughness of your analysis.
• You will receive a zero if more than 25% of your paper is deemed to be plagiarized. Further, you are
NOT allowed to reference other people’s analysis of the company. The only references that are
acceptable are SEC company filings and articles from business publications with an author. For full
credit, you must cite each of your references in your paper.
• DUE Sunday, December 8, 2019.
Your analysis must include all sections shown below. Label each heading appropriately. Provide a brief purpose of each section before each analysis. Point values for each section are given.
Project is worth a total of 220 points.
COMPANY: The Vitamin Shoppe Inc
I. Strategic Profile – (20 points) SLO 2
A. Background and Current Situation
B. Mission & Vision
C. Business Level
D. Corporate Level
II. External Analysis (40 points) SLO 7
A. General Environment
B. Industry Analysis (Porter’s Five Forces)
C. Competitor Analysis
III. Internal Analysis (20 points) SLO 4
C. Core Competencies
IV. Financial Analysis (40 points) SLO 3
E. Shareholder Return
V. SWOT Analysis (40 points) SLO 5
VI. Corporate Governance (20 points) SLO 6
A. Board of Directors
B. Primary Stakeholders
C. Secondary Stakeholders
VII. Strategy Formulation (20 points) SLO 1
A. Strategic Alternative 1
B. Strategic Alternative 2
C. Evaluation of Alternatives
D. Strategic Selection and Conclusion
VIII. APA Style with References and Citations (20 points)
(Up to 20 points will be deducted for spelling and grammar errors.)