You will pick a microorganism for your paper on pathology or microbe-environment interactions. The organism can not be one of the ones your instructor goes over during the lecture listed in the syllabus(prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells). Select a pathogen/microbe from current events that is an emerging or re-emerging concern to you or people in your area. Provide local epidemiological data/statistics for the organism.
The paper must be in APA format and 2-5 pages.
Your paper must include:
• Introduction to the organism (structure, cell type, morphology, metabolic requirements, natural reservoir, history, etc.)
• Introduction to the disease(s) caused by the organism (epidemiology, signs, symptoms, etc.) OR an introduction to the environmental impact of the organism
• List and describe factors employed by the organism to assist in its growth, reproduction, culture conditions, host/pathogen interactions, and/or virulence. (e.g. nitrogen fixation, symbiotic interactions, etc.) Categorize virulence factors by mechanisms of action (Immunity Avoidance, Tissue/Cell Lysis, Colonization/Spread)
• Discussion of treatment/prevention options for the disease(s) caused by the organism (Antibiotics or other chemotherapeutics given as part of treatment and their mechanisms of action, Vaccines available and type)
• 3 primary and at least 2 secondary scholarly sources