At Risk Youth
My Social Cause: At Risk Youth (Explanation of this cause will be attached in the files)
Your place of employment is seeking to expand its philanthropy and community outreach. Your manager has put out a call for proposals and you see this as a great opportunity to secure investment for an important social cause. As an advocate, you are responsible for drafting a pitch for your manager, an editorial/press release for a local news publication, and a formal proposal for the Board of Directors.
Compose an editorial for a local news source advocating the importance of your social cause on behalf of your company. Your editorial should be framed as an appeal to the general public explaining why your company has chosen to invest, and why the public should care about this issue. Locate TWO recent articles that highlight cases or concerns associated with your social cause and refer to them in support of your argument (these sources should be newspaper and/or
magazine articles). What recent reports or evidence can you refer to?
Use this opportunity to persuade (pathos) and inform (logos) the average reader, who may have no prior knowledge of your social cause, or maybe disinterested. You are trying to galvanize support through emotional appeals and logical reasoning. Consider your audience and how you will persuade them. Bear in mind that as a public representative of the employer, your editorial will require assessment and approval from the media relations department.
1. You must write this assignment in your own words. Suspected plagiarism will be addressed immediately and reported to the Academic Integrity Committee.
2. Your editorial should be approximately 500-600 words in length.
3. You must double-space your assignment and use size 12 font.
4. Proofread your work carefully. You will be evaluated on proper spelling, grammar, and
sentence structure, and for meeting the requirements of an editorial.
5. You should include outside research from TWO recent sources (nothing published before 2012).
DO NOT include any direct quotations. Although you will refer to these sources, please paraphrase and write your assignment in your own words.
6. Please include a header, which includes your name, your company’s name (e.g. Jarvis Ltd.), the date, my name, and the publication name (e.g. Globe & Mail Opinions). Please follow
proper sentence and paragraph structure.
7. You should also include a correctly formatted APA References Page at the end of your Editorial. APA Referencing will be provided in the course site.
8. You MUST submit your work as a Microsoft Word or PDF file