Utopian visions and reform movements of early U.S. history: Have you ever considered what your utopia would be? In this discussion, we’ll try something different.
Imagine it is 1840, and you and your followers want to start a new community. Please design your own utopia following these instructions: 1. Write the name and give the location of your utopia. Please make sure that it’s within the U.S. boundaries of 1840 (California, Texas, Hawai’i, and Alaska would be excluded).
2. How do you make your living?
3. What is your policy on children?
4. What is your policy on marriage?
5. How will you defend yourselves?
6. What form of governance will you have?
7. What are your religious beliefs, if any? Remember, it’s 1840! No electricity. No cars, etc