1. Calculate the volume required to produce 0.0125 mol of acetone.2. Calculate the volume of 2.2 “equivalents” of benzaldehyde. (In other words, 2.2 times as many moles of benzaldehyde as of acetone.) Note: the equation involves a simple 2:1stoichiometry.By using an actual 2.2:1 ratio, it ensures that the benzaldehyde is surplus and that the acetone is limiting. This is helpful for several reasons:
a. Aldehyde oxidation. Aldehydes are often impure because oxidation to carboxylic acid is fairly facile. By using 2.2 equivalents of benzaldehyde, then even if 10% of the benzaldehyde is corrupt we ensure that we still have enough to fully react with the acetone.
b. Reaction Time. By having an excess of benzaldehyde, it makes it easier for the reaction to go to completion. Otherwise late in the reaction there isn’t much benzaldehyde left to react, so the reaction slows down a lot. By intentionally putting in some extra, it maintains at least a minimal concentration of electrophilic till the very end, such that getting 100% conversion of the ketone isn’t so hard and doesn’t take so long. Ease of Product Purification: Disubstitution versus monosubstitution. Enabling complete conversion greatly simplifies purification. If complete conversion does not occur, either because benzaldehyde runs out or because insufficient time is used, the desired “disubstitution” product “dibenzalacetone”, in which two benzaldehydes have been incorporated, is contaminated by “benzal acetone”, the “monosubstitution” product in which only one benzaldehyde has been incorporated. Since the mono- and disubstituted products aren’t that different, it’s not that easy to remove the undesired side-product from the main desired product. But if you just make sure the reaction goes all the way to the desired product, then you don’t need to worry about it! Doing the Reaction:1. Use a 125-mL Erlenmeyer flask with a magnetic stirring bar.
2. Add 50 mL of the NaOH-Ethanol-Water solution mixture.
3. Place the solution on the magnetic stirrers and adjust the stirring dial to get a nice, even stirring action.
4. To this add the calculated amount of benzaldehyde by syringe
5. Add the calculated amount of acetone by syringe, last. (The acetone should go in last after the benzaldehyde electrophile is already available. If the acetone goes in first, it could do aldol condensation on itself, in which enolate anions just attack neutral acetone carbonyls. Ketone carbonyls aren’t competitive with aldehyde carbonyls as electrophiles, but if there are no aldehydes available, ketones are better than nothing!)
6. Watch the solution carefully, with a watch, at the beginning of the reaction, so that you can keep good observational records. How long does it take for the solution to turn yellow? Given that all the reactants are colorless, what does the yellow color mean?
We aim at 100% customer satisfaction. As such, we never compromise on the quality of our assignment services. Our homework helpers craft each paper carefully to match the requirements on the instruction form.
We receive many applications from writers around the world daily. Nevertheless, we only choose the cream of the crop to tackle your “help with homework” requests. Hence, our homework helpers are highly-qualified individuals who maintain our quality policy.
We maintain a fair pricing policy for all our homework help services. Our pricing system generates quotations based on the requirements of each paper.
At My Homework Writers, we guarantee all students swift delivery of their assignments. We understand that time is an essential factor in the academic world. We, therefore, ensure that all assignments are delivered on or before the agreed deadline.
We maintain a zero-plagiarism policy in all our essay papers. Our assignment writers stick to the students’ instructions to deliver plagiarism-free papers. We are also keen to avoid any chance of similarities with previously written papers.
We understand that you might run into trouble once in a while when working with our system. In the event that you do run into trouble, please get in touch with our support agents and they will immediately provide you with assistance.
Feel free to contact us via the Chat window or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow these simple steps to get your homework done
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
You will be able to track the progress of your paper from our system.
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Myhomeworkwriters website holds a reputation for providing high-quality assignment writing services. You only need to give us all the requirements for your “do my homework” order, and our homework paper writers will give you the best results.
We have highly qualified essay writers to assist you whenever you place in "help with my homework" order. Our essay writing service is designed to help students get good grades.
Our admission essay writing help will assist you to secure a position at your desired learning institution. We will help you craft a top-notch personal statement paper. Our writers who know how to write a college admission essay will help you get the college admission you are longing for.
Our team of professional editors will help you organize your paper, paraphrase it, and eliminate any possible mistakes. Also, we will help you check on plagiarism to ensure that your final paper possesses quality and originality.
My homeworkwriters harbors specialists who can handle your technical papers order. Our “write my homework” services cover all academic areas you can think of. The simplicity or complexity of the paper does not affect the quality of assignment writing services.