1. Calculate the volume required to produce 0.0125 mol of acetone.2. Calculate the volume of 2.2 “equivalents” of benzaldehyde. (In other words, 2.2 times as many moles of benzaldehyde as of acetone.) Note: the equation involves a simple 2:1stoichiometry.By using an actual 2.2:1 ratio, it ensures that the benzaldehyde is surplus and that the acetone is limiting. This is helpful for several reasons:
a. Aldehyde oxidation. Aldehydes are often impure because oxidation to carboxylic acid is fairly facile. By using 2.2 equivalents of benzaldehyde, then even if 10% of the benzaldehyde is corrupt we ensure that we still have enough to fully react with the acetone.
b. Reaction Time. By having an excess of benzaldehyde, it makes it easier for the reaction to go to completion. Otherwise late in the reaction there isn’t much benzaldehyde left to react, so the reaction slows down a lot. By intentionally putting in some extra, it maintains at least a minimal concentration of electrophilic till the very end, such that getting 100% conversion of the ketone isn’t so hard and doesn’t take so long. Ease of Product Purification: Disubstitution versus monosubstitution. Enabling complete conversion greatly simplifies purification. If complete conversion does not occur, either because benzaldehyde runs out or because insufficient time is used, the desired “disubstitution” product “dibenzalacetone”, in which two benzaldehydes have been incorporated, is contaminated by “benzal acetone”, the “monosubstitution” product in which only one benzaldehyde has been incorporated. Since the mono- and disubstituted products aren’t that different, it’s not that easy to remove the undesired side-product from the main desired product. But if you just make sure the reaction goes all the way to the desired product, then you don’t need to worry about it! Doing the Reaction:1. Use a 125-mL Erlenmeyer flask with a magnetic stirring bar.
2. Add 50 mL of the NaOH-Ethanol-Water solution mixture.
3. Place the solution on the magnetic stirrers and adjust the stirring dial to get a nice, even stirring action.
4. To this add the calculated amount of benzaldehyde by syringe
5. Add the calculated amount of acetone by syringe, last. (The acetone should go in last after the benzaldehyde electrophile is already available. If the acetone goes in first, it could do aldol condensation on itself, in which enolate anions just attack neutral acetone carbonyls. Ketone carbonyls aren’t competitive with aldehyde carbonyls as electrophiles, but if there are no aldehydes available, ketones are better than nothing!)
6. Watch the solution carefully, with a watch, at the beginning of the reaction, so that you can keep good observational records. How long does it take for the solution to turn yellow? Given that all the reactants are colorless, what does the yellow color mean?
Why Choose Us
At Myhomeworkwriters.com, we always aim at 100% customer satisfaction. As such, we never compromise the quality of our essay services. Our essay helpers ensure that they craft each paper carefully to match the requirements in the instruction form.
Professional Academic Writers
With Myhomeworkwriters.com, every student is guaranteed high-quality, professionally written papers. We ensure that we hire individuals with high academic qualifications who can maintain our quality policy. These writers undergo further training to sharpen their writing skills, making them more competent in writing academic papers.
Our company maintains a fair pricing system for all paper writing services to ensure affordability. Our pricing system generates quotations based on the properties of individual papers.
MyHomeworkWriters guarantees all students of swift delivery of papers. We understand that time is an essential factor in the academic world. Therefore, we ensure that we deliver the paper on or before the agreed date to give students ample time for reviewing.
Myhomeworkwriters.com maintains a zero-plagiarism policy. As such, MyHomeworkWriters ensure that they use the students’ instructions to deliver plagiarism-free papers. We are very keen on avoiding any chance of similarities with previous papers.
Customer Support 24/7
Our customer support works around the clock to provide students with assistance or guidance at any time of the day. Students can always communicate with us through our live chat system or our email and receive instant responses. Feel free to contact us via the Chat window or support email: email@example.com.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Our writers complete papers strictly according to your instructions and needs, no matter what university, college, or high school you study in.
Our Essay Writing Services
MyHomeworkWriters holds a reputation for being a platform that provides high-quality academic services. All you need to do is provide us with all the necessary requirements and wait for quality results.
At MyHomeworkWriters, we have highly qualified academic gurus who will offer great assistance towards completing your essays. Our essay help service providers are well-versed with all the aspects of developing high-quality and relevant essays.
Admission and Business Papers
With Myhomeworkwriters.com, we will help you secure a position at your desired institution. Our essay writing services include the crafting of admissions papers. We will still help you climb your career ladder by helping you write the official papers that will help you secure a job. We will guide you on how to write an outstanding portfolio or resume.
Editing and Proofreading
Myhomeworkwriters.com has a professional editorial team that will help you organize your paper, paraphrase it, and eliminate any possible mistakes. Also, we will help you check on plagiarism to ensure that your final paper posses quality and originality.
My Homework Writers harbors professional academic writers from diverse academic disciplines. As such, we can develop essay help services in all academic areas. The simplicity or complexity of the paper does not affect the quality of essay writing services.