Due Monday by 11:59pm Points 15 Submitting a file upload
Available Jun 22 at 6am – Jul 6 at 11:59pm 15 days
The purpose of this paper is to identify various components of your self-concept and reflect on
how they influence your perception of, and communication with, others.
Components of self-concept: Culture, Gender Roles, Sex, Personality Traits, Social Roles,
Age, Behaviors/Habits, and Beliefs
1. Think of two words for each of the 8 components listed above. Number them in a list.
2. Write a brief explanation for why you chose each word to describe your self-concept.
3. Provide an example for each from a real-life experience you have had. These can be
experiences you’ve had with others, thoughts you’ve had about yourself, etc.
4. Write a brief description of how you think this influences how you communicate with others
or your perception of others.
Here is an example of what I am looking for:
1. Culture – Californian – I chose this word to describe my self-concept because I was born
and raised in Southern California. While I have traveled to other states and countries for
brief periods of time, I have never lived anywhere else. I think that people who live here
share commonalities. For example, I never thought that Californians had an accent until I
spent a summer working at a summer camp in Wisconsin. When I arrived recognized that
they all had accepted, but it didn’t occur to me that I had one until someone commented on it.
They said I spoke in a “silly” way that made it hard for them to take me seriously. They said
it was specific to people from California. This is experience made me more aware of how
people make judgments about different accents people may have. My experience made
me feel negatively judged and resulted in me being more aware that accents can create
barriers to communication. I try not to make these judgments on others that I communicate
with after this experience.