When Banana Ruled Assignment
Click on the link to watch the movie ” When Banana Ruled”. As you are watching, complete the attached worksheet.
“When Banana Ruled” – 25 points
Directions: Watch the film, “When Banana Ruled” and answer the following questions as thoroughly as possible. Answer in complete sentences. Your responses will be handed in and graded.
- How was the banana related to the building of a Costa Rican railroad?
- When was the United Fruit Company created? What was different about its business model?
- What was the impact of the banana on natives in Central America?
- How did the United Fruit Company expand into Guatemala? What did Guatemala give up?
- What were banana plantations like?
- Why were Jamaicans imported into Central America?
- What were the positive effects of United Fruit Company?
- What were the demands of banana workers?
- What was the reaction to the workers’ demands?
- Who was Samuel Zemurray?
- Who were “the poisoners”?
- What was the environmental impact of banana plantations?
- Why do multinational businesses like United Fruit Company tend to avoid democracies?
- Why was Jacobo Arbenz overthrown? What role did the United Fruit Company play? What role did the United States play?
- What happened in Guatemala after Arbenz was overthrown?
- What are the modern consequences of the business model of the United Fruit Company?
- How did the overthrow of Arbenz affect Cuba?
- What happened to the United Fruit Company?
- Are Dole and Chiquita companies any better than United Fruit?
Directions: Explain each of the following terms. Include the date and historical significance of the term. You can look up terms online to get additional information.
Minor Cooper Keith
Sam the Banana Man
Colonel Castillo Armas